Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by sunnyside »

Griffin wrote:Oh I agree entirely, I was just trying to explain the whole note/production error thing. Incidentally, I've found the alleged note:

Great find! :lol:
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Airdate announced : Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30 p.m./7:30c
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DonP
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when looking at all of these, and the reason most of us think it will be a steaming pile, is that this series is set at most just one year before The Cage. One year. We don't have to speculate about what the ship, weapons, uniforms, etc should look like, because we know. And this isn't it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I thought it was a decade before then. Still not much in terms of the lifespan of a class-type of starship... in any event, that lack of temporal distance just magnifies the issues that are bound to plague a prequel to which I've alluded and which Graham as detailed in no uncertain terms. The production of a prequel series is fraught with pitfalls when the people making them care about the show, at least initially, and there is a huge amount of time elapsed between established canon and the prequel in question - all of which pitfalls were admirably demonstrated by ENT. Now that we have the lack of elapsed time, as Don mentions, and people making the prequel who appear to not give a skinny rat's ass about 'Trek... well...

BTW, welcome to the forum, Don.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DonP

Post by DonP »

Thank you very much! Totally agree with all your points. And I initially thought a decade as well, but the producers say 10 years before Kirk, which puts it pretty much squarely in Pike's lap.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Which, is why it makes sense to have uniforms, ships, equipment, and everything else that is absolutely nothing like anything from TOS: The Cage.

Oh, wait...
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'll start by admitting that I could get as pissy about all of this as anyone else on here... after all, in-universe consistency is crucial for nerds like us.

Still, at the end of the day, we're looking at an artistic re-interpretation of a fictional universe. I can completely deal with re-imagined ships, costumes, and the visuals of alien races, as long as the "history" of the universe and the heart of the show remain the same. Perhaps I'm looking at things with a rose colored VISOR, but I am thrilled to have new Star Trek stories available for my viewing pleasure.

In an admittedly lame and slightly contrived bit of devil's advocate banality here... Let's just stay for a minute that some modern day show like Game of Thrones becomes iconic and a prequel spinoff gets produced for our mind-streaming pleasure in 2067 - should our grandkids be up in arms because the White Walkers look different or the producers choose to make the sigil of house Targaryen a slightly more stylized dragon?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
DonP

Post by DonP »

Should they be upset about a slightly more stylized dragon? Certainly not. But I'd expect them to be very upset if everyone was suddenly wearing kevlar and the Wall was equipped with radar towers. If people can look at this and see it as just a slight redesign, then honestly, good for them. I actually envy that, because to me, it looks like something that's decades, if not generations, out of place.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

For me, at least, the annoyance stems from the fact that the problems we've mentioned here could easily have been avoided with little effort and with just an iota of thoughtfulness and concern for the preexisting material.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The transporter room of the other ship.

:bangwall:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Image

The transporter room of the other ship.

:bangwall:
Is it me or they look like Police Officer more than Starfleet officer?
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They're wearing what look like kevlar body armour.

Also, the transporter seems to incorporate radar dishes. Because reasons.

Anybody want to bet that those things will spin when the transporter is used?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Over the past five decades, we’ve seen Star Trek appear in traditional television aspect ratios, widescreen upon the arrival of Star Trek: Enterprise, and of course, in cinematic widescreen in the films – but revealed today is another new look coming with Star Trek: Discovery.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly today, Discovery producer Aaron Harberts revealed that the new series will be broadcast in a new aspect ratio for the franchise, a 2:1 widescreen dimension.
Widescreen is a good idea, but 2:1 seems like an odd choice. Why not the standard TV widescreen format of 16:9? This way they are going to give even people with widescreen TVs black bars top and bottom.

Or is US widescreen TV based on a 2:1 ratio?