Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ah.

I would hope it'll just be a matter of treating it the way they did in Beyond. Just treat it as a perfectly normal thing that's mentioned or seen in passing. Don't tell us, show us.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

They should make it a sort of "McHale's Navy" remake...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Haven't been following this at all but I just saw the ship reveal trailer and wow, good grief what awful CG!!!

I have no words. ><

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

And yeah, she is fugly.

Probably won't bother tuning in since I don't watch TV anyway. :P
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
It turns out CBS' "Star Trek Discovery" will NOT be set subsequent to Kathryn Janeway's adventures in the Delta Quadrant.

In fact, "Star Trek Discovery" will be set before Kirk and Spock's adventures in the Alpha Quadrant.

“There’s a big clue in the number of the ship [NCC-1031] that indicates when we’re set,” “Star Trek Discovery” showrunner Bryan Fuller just told me over Monday-afternoon coffee in the Beverly Hilton’s Circa 55 poolside restaurant.

So.

Given that the Kirk-Spock Enterprise has a higher registry number of NCC-1701, I’ll declare now that CBS’ new “Star Trek Discovery” adventures are set before Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty started hanging out together on the Enterprise.

I also asked Fuller about Starfleet’s super-secret black ops operation Section 31 (the one depicted in “Deep Space Nine,” “Enterprise” and “Into Darkness”). Is it a coincidence that the Discovery has that “31” at the end of its registry number?

“There are aspects of our first season that, depending on how well versed you are in that mythology, you could either read into it a connection," said Fuller, "or not."

Keep your eyes glued to the Internet on Aug. 10; Fuller says he’s going to “spoiler it up” during the “Star Trek” panel on that penultimate day here at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, that somewhat explains the place in the design lineage of that ugly-ass ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just what Star Trek needed. Another prequel series. Because that went so well last time.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Source

Given that the Kirk-Spock Enterprise has a higher registry number of NCC-1701, I’ll declare now that CBS’ new “Star Trek Discovery” adventures are set before Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty started hanging out together on the Enterprise.
I'll believe it when I see it. This is one guys supposition. Until I hear more from the production staff itself, I'm not believing much.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why not just go into the future? What is it about prequels they love so much?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I get the impression from interviews and such that the writers got kind of fed up with the late Trek era. They do seem to love the idea of prequels and *shudder* Starfleet Academy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Source

I'll believe it when I see it. This is one guys supposition. Until I hear more from the production staff itself, I'm not believing much.
It's not the reporter's supposition. The showrunner TOLD the reporter that the registration number was correlated to the time frame of the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:

It's not the reporter's supposition. The showrunner TOLD the reporter that the registration number was correlated to the time frame of the show.
The showrunner said th registry number was a hint. At this point for all I know it could be set in the 31st century since the number is 1031. All I'm saying is I'm just waiting for a declarative statement from Fuller or the production staff, no vague hints to one online journalist.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Seems to me the only reasonable interpretation of "1031 is a hint to the timeframe" is that the timeframe will be pre-TOS. Not that an NCC in that range actually indicates that, but honestly from past experience I wouldn't expect the show runners to actually know that. I expect their thinking goes no further than "lower number = earlier date".

My bet is a prequel show.

Set on a ship I hate.

Again. :(
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Data might be on the show...

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/star-trek-bren ... 07996.html

So if TOS started around 2265, and Data was activated 2338...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

He could play Soong or one of his ancestors that happens to look just like him.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

How many members of that family has he played so far? Five?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.