Call of Cthulhu RPG Discussion

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Call of Cthulhu RPG

Post by Mikey »

It also helps preserve the "flavor" of the game. It's about slowly finding that we are not alone, and that we are hopelessly insignificant compared with our coinhabitants (and that we will very likely be slaughtered en masse for those things amusement.) The characters aren't sallying forth to combat some evil; they are very gradually learning about that evil. Magic should be treated in the same way.

There is magic you can use without too much of a detrimental effect; but changing the sanity rules regarding the use of magic will, I think, encourage things that shouldn't be. Summoning a Great Old One or Outer god is - and should - be something that nobody would ever do except in the ultimate last resort. And by "ultimate last resort" I don't mean you might die if you don't... I mean your death is pretty much already a foregone conclusion, and you're just trying to prevent the end of mankind.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW, I'm progressing through the rules - pretty straightforward, actually - and am getting ready to settle down and roll some characters over the next few days. Do we have some sort of mechanism to mix up the party a bit? As LH said, we don't know who everyone else is going to be, and we probably don't want a party exclusively composed of nine eighty-year-old professors, or all p.i.'s.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:It also helps preserve the "flavor" of the game. It's about slowly finding that we are not alone, and that we are hopelessly insignificant compared with our coinhabitants (and that we will very likely be slaughtered en masse for those things amusement.) The characters aren't sallying forth to combat some evil; they are very gradually learning about that evil. Magic should be treated in the same way.
I suppose this is just my lack of knowledge of the core subject coming through then, I wouldn't have thought of magic being viewed that way.
There is magic you can use without too much of a detrimental effect; but changing the sanity rules regarding the use of magic will, I think, encourage things that shouldn't be. Summoning a Great Old One or Outer god is - and should - be something that nobody would ever do except in the ultimate last resort. And by "ultimate last resort" I don't mean you might die if you don't... I mean your death is pretty much already a foregone conclusion, and you're just trying to prevent the end of mankind.
This falls back to the "not making a D&D wizard" comment. I wasn't looking to make someone who regularly, if ever, calls up powerful beings or slings around fire and lightning. Just someone with some skill in tweaking reality, cantrip level spells by the D&D standard.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:I suppose this is just my lack of knowledge of the core subject coming through then, I wouldn't have thought of magic being viewed that way.
Like I mentioned, in Lovecraft's own writings I can only think of magic being used actively by a sane human all of once... and even then, it would be a pretty limited spell in terms of what's available in the rulebook.
Lighthawk wrote:D&D wizard
Lighthawk wrote:cantrip level spells by the D&D standard.
Now you may as well be speaking the language of R'lyeh. I don't know what effect you are trying to convey by those words.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay. To address a few points:

1) magic: Just like with weaponry, magic is something that can neither be relied upon, nor ignored. I'm certainly willing to let some characters start with one or two utilitarian-type spells, especially ones that cost no sanity points to use or learn. But, if the spell is in a tome that grants Mythos points to read and costs sanity, I'd need to hash it over in private before allowing it. Same with weapons. If you've got a great era-appropriate weapon you'd like to take that isn't in the list, just talk to me in private, via PM or Skype. Consider your character's background and demeanor before deciding what spells or weapons you'd like to use, and keep in mind that they will be near-useless against a lot of otherworldly creatures.

2) the mood: like Mikey said, adventurers questing against dungeon monsters is not what we are; We're human beings, with human flaws, and human frailties. The game already has a mechanic for dealing with insanity from the same source - the first time our group sees a Deep One or a zombie, for instance, they will roll, and may have seriously adverse responses; after a while, seeing the same creatures won't cause sanity loss. Until you don't see any for a week or month; then the trauma would be brought back up, and you might freak out again. Or not. I intend to be fair about sanity loss and gains, the latter of which are entirely at the Keeper's discretion. In the end, everyone should have fun. :)

3) characters: create as many or as few as you'd like, but be aware of two things - the time scale of the first scenario is roughly a month; that might not be enough time for your cousin Pete from Europe to travel to a small town in New England if he's your backup character. Secondly, any character not present (whether through absence or death/insanity/maiming) at the end of this scenario will miss out on a really interesting development. I will again advise you to play two at once at least.

4) the set-up: two parts here; first, determining income - in the pdf, there is a section on character creation; in that section, it tells you how to determine income for your era. Second, the opening - I'll write an opening that includes one of my characters arriving at what will be our base of operations for this scenario. This should provide enough information for everyone to write their intros accordingly. If you want to go over how long and arduous your trip was, feel free. Travel in 1895 wasn't an easy thing.

5) the future: if people like the first scenario (and it's ending), we'll move ahead with the second one. For the second scenario, the situation and setting will be completely different; it will be a set-up and then a blank slate for you guys to explore and discover. The time scale will also be a lot longer, in all likelihood.

In the end, the majority of the gameplay is up to you guys. Do we rush in the front of the abandoned mine, or try to find another entrance? Do we attack the antagonistic cultist in broad daylight in town, or sneak into their compound at night? All up to you guys, but every course of action will have concequences. I won't railroad gameplay, but there will be some additional "guidance" for the first scenario, especially to help you all get into it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Bad news guys,
There's been some kind of mix up or beak In communication with the rented house we're supposed to be staying in, it does not have internet access and as such I'll be 'cut off' from the forum from 13th of August till the 27th, which looks to be around the time we get started with this thing. As such, could I bow out of the first scenario and either join the second (If there is one) or partway through the first when I return (If it would be sensible).
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Considering the timing of things around here, IDK if that will be a problem. With a bunch of stuff going on, my own time online will be limited starting this weekend.

BTW - first attempt at a char sent via e-mail to you, Pres. Lemme know what you think, I might make a minor tweak to the skills.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That's about right, honestly. Feel free to tweak skills and so forth until you're happy with the character.

Also, if everyone interested could send me their email addresses via PM, I'd appreciate it. That way, at least minor file-sharing will be easy.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Griffin wrote:Bad news guys,
There's been some kind of mix up or beak In communication with the rented house we're supposed to be staying in, it does not have internet access and as such I'll be 'cut off' from the forum from 13th of August till the 27th, which looks to be around the time we get started with this thing. As such, could I bow out of the first scenario and either join the second (If there is one) or partway through the first when I return (If it would be sensible).
2 whole weeks? Caveman!

Seriously, we probably won't have everything together until at least early next month, so don't sweat it.

You REALLY want to be part of the first adventure, trust me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, question: do you want us to have an ongoing stable of characters - that is, a couple for 1890's, a couple for 1920's, a couple for Delta Green/1950's, a couple for present day? Or do you want us to just have a good handful for 1890's, and burn cross the other bridges when we come to them? I've just completed a second 1890's char, and didn't know if I should continue to that end or not.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm going to advise everyone to stick with 1890's characters for now. Before the second scenario, if you'd like, you can create new characters based on the situation.

Play more than one character. You'll thank me later.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, sent you three 1890's characters for your approval. Lemme know which ones work best for the scenario and our group, a/o if a different type is needed.

PS - avatar adjusted appropriately. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:2) the mood: like Mikey said, adventurers questing against dungeon monsters is not what we are; We're human beings, with human flaws, and human frailties.
So our characters are just normal people, trying to live out a normal life, and getting pulled into events they never imagined possible? They've had no previous experience with anything unnatural? I'm trying to wrap my head around how such a group would stick together in any real sense unless they've already familiar with each other in some meaningful way.

This sounds interesting, but it is very different in mindset from every other type of tabletop rpg I've ever played. In most you are expected to be able to handle the majority of issues that come your way; this one keeps sounding more and more like being able to just survive is going to be the greatest challenge.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Lighthawk wrote:...this one keeps sounding more and more like being able to just survive is going to be the greatest challenge.
I believe that's actually a great summation of the game.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:So our characters are just normal people, trying to live out a normal life, and getting pulled into events they never imagined possible? They've had no previous experience with anything unnatural? I'm trying to wrap my head around how such a group would stick together in any real sense unless they've already familiar with each other in some meaningful way.
Characters can have some familiarity with the Mythos, but not much. PM me to discuss that. As far as sticking together, extremely stressful situations can make allies of the most unlikely people.
Lighthawk wrote:This sounds interesting, but it is very different in mindset from every other type of tabletop rpg I've ever played. In most you are expected to be able to handle the majority of issues that come your way; this one keeps sounding more and more like being able to just survive is going to be the greatest challenge.
Yeah, we will very much have the ability to handle a lot of problems that come our way; some will just be impossible. Survival should always be a primary concern. Just like in real life. :)