Call of Cthulhu RPG Discussion

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Call of Cthulhu RPG Discussion

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, I've been growing increasingly more obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft's works lately, and I got ahold of the .pdf files for the Call of Cthulhu RPG game.

I know there are any number of games running right now, but the setting and tone of this one will appeal to more people, I think, and I have a rather good idea in mind for a series of campaigns (using the same characters) that span the 1890's through the modern era. Even people who don't care for other rpg games will like these, I think, because the focus is on investigation, solving mysteries and the sheer terror of confronting the unknown. Just try and fire a weapon at a Yithian, or a dimensional shambler, and everyone has a good laugh as the bullets impact harmlessly, or not at all. Then you get torn apart.

Running away is generally a better option in these games, though I do intend to have plenty of combat against cultists, street thugs, and even the police and government agents at times, and on occasion, using magic or heavy weaponry to fight the entities themselves.

I have a grand plan in place for a series of these, and I think most of our members would really enjoy the setting, pace, atmosphere and gameplay.

If anyone has a little free time (or when they do), let me know, and we'll get started. I'm willing to help players who are unfamiliar with rpg systems in building characters, etc.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Call of Cthulhu RPG

Post by Lighthawk »

I'm only vaguely familiar with the Cthulhu Mythos, but from what I do know that might actually make things more interesting, keep me more in character. If this gets going, you can count me in.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sweet.

For the starting scenario, I'm going to have everyone create at least 2-6 characters, just for the sake of how easy it is for them to go insane or die (especially going insane). As the eras progress, some of the scenarios won't require all of them, so you could end up with a diverse set of characters to choose from.

Experience is usage-based (the more you use a skill, the better you get at it), but I found a way for our characters to get progressively better with each scenario.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

The character bit sounds like Paranoia, only the death and insanity isn't suppose to be funny.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:The character bit sounds like Paranoia, only the death and insanity isn't suppose to be funny.
I'll make it suitably awful and terrifying.

It might still be amusing, though.

Are you on Skype?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Oh I have no doubt we'll laugh about it, but for all the wrong reasons.

And no, never bothered with it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:...And no, never bothered with it.
It's the best way to share files. I can point you at the links, I guess.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:wave:

Are we talking about the game published by Chaosium? I think I played that once, about a million years ago. I'd be in, but not for 6 characters.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You could always just play one and hope you don't get killed in the first scenario. :lol:

Here's the structure I've envisioned:

1895 - initial investigation.
1924 - first reunion.
1933 - expedition to Antarctica.
1944 - investigation in Europe/recruitment into Delta Green.
1947 - investigation at Roswell.
1969 - assault in South America.
1999 - full reunion for investigation.
2012 - global investigation.

And then go from there. I don't intend to use all of the creatures listed in the rulebooks, but want to go for the core of the Mythos: Deep Ones, dimensional shamblers, Shoggoths, Spawn of Cthuhlu, mi-go, and the Great Race of Yith mostly. Cultists and cops/feds who are part of the cults (or just annoying) will be the most common opponents.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

What way are you planning on running this, In the roleplay sub- section?

I've played it, run a few games myself over the years. Its good fun. Its always good when one of your players says something like "to hell with this running I'm going back to face that thing..... araggghhhhhhhh"

If you're ever doing a live session (ie all players in the same room) you should have the album 'On Earth' by Brian Eno playing the background. Suitably weird.

Also for building chars there's a prog out there called 'byakee character building' or somesuch. It has a char creation wizard so its really easy. I'll see if I can track down where I DL it from when I get home later and post a link to it. Also there's lots of keeper resources available on yog-sothoth forum for Cthulhu roleplay.
Last edited by colmquinn on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

colmquinn wrote:What way are you planning on running this, In the role playsub section or are you talking about skyping it?
In the roleplay section, but I intend to share materials over Skype.

colmquinn wrote:...Its always good when one of your players says something like "to hell with this running I'm going back to face that thing..... araggghhhhhhhh"
:laughroll:
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I'll have to check on scheduling etc but I'd be interested in playing. (well with avatar like mine its kinda obvious :-) )

What version of the rule book are you planning on using, is it the d20 system or %'s?

I've never really bothered with skype tbh. Files shouldn't be that big (i'm assuming you mean player handouts etc of clues found), would an old fashioned e-mail be sufficient?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

colmquinn wrote:What version of the rule book are you planning on using, is it the d20 system or %'s?
I checked out the d20 version, and didn't care for it honestly. Going with the classic version.

colmquinn wrote:I've never really bothered with skype tbh. Files shouldn't be that big (i'm assuming you mean player handouts etc of clues found), would an old fashioned e-mail be sufficient?
Most of what the players would need would be e-mailable, I think.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Sounds interesting. The fact I know next to nothing about the mythos wouldn't be much of a hindrance would it?
Bite my shiny metal ass
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Griffin wrote:Sounds interesting. The fact I know next to nothing about the mythos wouldn't be much of a hindrance would it?
Not really, you'll play an 'investigator' who doesn't know anything about the mythos and as they learn more so will you. Thell they prob get killed by some unspeakable horror :worried: