Call of Cthulhu RPG Discussion

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Call of Cthulhu RPG

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, actually, that might help.

I won't make the first scenario super hard, but the others will be suitably terrifying, I'm sure.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I don't mind keeping a stable to replace chars lost to insanity or messy deaths, I just meant IDK about more than one at a time. BTW, Elder Things need to be represented if we're following the Pabodie Expedition to Antarctica. I don't Skype either; can u zip and send the rulebooks?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I'm intrigued. I don't know much about the mythos but i've heard much about it here. Would sitting out at least the first round to observe be acceptable?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I don't mind keeping a stable to replace chars lost to insanity or messy deaths, I just meant IDK about more than one at a time. BTW, Elder Things need to be represented if we're following the Pabodie Expedition to Antarctica. I don't Skype either; can u zip and send the rulebooks?
Unfortunately, no. The files are 200+ MB.

And we're going on a follow-up expedition to that one. :twisted:
Sonic Glitch wrote:I'm intrigued. I don't know much about the mythos but i've heard much about it here. Would sitting out at least the first round to observe be acceptable?
That would be fine, but then you'd miss the awesome surprise at the end. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:I'm intrigued. I don't know much about the mythos but i've heard much about it here. Would sitting out at least the first round to observe be acceptable?
That would be fine, but then you'd miss the awesome surprise at the end. :wink:
He was dead all along? ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:That would be fine, but then you'd miss the awesome surprise at the end. :wink:
He was dead all along? ;)
:lol:

No, but you are oddly close to it.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

This is the game that gave us the sanity check, right? :lol:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:This is the game that gave us the sanity check, right? :lol:
I believe so, yes. Of course you'd go kinda crazy if you see THE COLOUR OUT OF SPACE. :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I guess I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you need to transmit to the players? Are we supposed to have the rules, or are we going to do a more traditional, "I tell you what I try to do and you tell me the result" sort of thing?
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Cthulhu games are all about random people being brought into an adventure they don't fully understand, trying to figure out where little jimmy went to, only to discover a horror behind it all. Oh and the horror will make you go crazy if you look at it and realize its true alien nature :-)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I guess I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you need to transmit to the players? Are we supposed to have the rules, or are we going to do a more traditional, "I tell you what I try to do and you tell me the result" sort of thing?
We're doing the more traditional thing, but I thought a copy of the rules would help with character creation, weapon choices, etc.

I found them with Google; I guess everyone can.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I found a free .pdf of Quick-start rules (%-based) on Chaosium's site... is that what we're going with? I need specificity! (I'm a little high-maintenance.)
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

5th edition, %-based rules.

I'll send a PM.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

-What sort of time frame are we looking at towards getting this started?
-Are there any game specific details we should know for character creation? For example, country the story will be set in.
-Should we generate characters being more team oriented or solo oriented?
-I'm still digesting the rule book, but it seems like magic is a difficult, dangerous thing to use. I guess making a mage type character is something the game discourages?
-Just how worthless are combat skills in this game? Is there anything we're likely to face that we could reasonably be expected to defeat, or is running away our primary combat skill?
-Why do they sell hot dogs in packages of 8 and hotdog buns...There are a few variations on rolling up stats, which do you want us to use?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I can answer the combat one: you're not going to get anywhere by shooting a revolver at a byakhee; however, there will be lots of very human cultists/sorcerers/wing-nuts/etc. who will be both antagonistic and very vulnerable to a tire-knocker or .38 slug.
as Bull offed Custer