New Doctor to be revealed...

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Doctor to be revealed...

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I found this rather amusing...

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Honestly, some of the misogynistic feedback has been staggering. It truly boggles the mind how Neanderthals have survived to this day.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, here's a rather disappointing statement: none other than Peter Davison has joined the misogynistic crowd, saying that having a female Doctor would be "the loss of a role model for boys who I think Doctor Who is vitally important for." Aside from his rather brutal attack against English grammar, what makes Davison think that a) only boys need role models or b) a role model must be of the same gender as the viewer?

On a happier note, another Doctor has stepped up. Colin Baker tweeted, "Cannot deny that I am amazed by the 'never watch it again' reaction by some viewers (I hesitate to call them 'fans'). Very sad"
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Well, here's a rather disappointing statement: none other than Peter Davison has joined the misogynistic crowd, saying that having a female Doctor would be "the loss of a role model for boys who I think Doctor Who is vitally important for." Aside from his rather brutal attack against English grammar, what makes Davison think that a) only boys need role models or b) a role model must be of the same gender as the viewer?
Well said. You may have noticed that I'm a bit of a Wonder Woman movie fanboy; I have no problem saying that I regard her as a role model. I see no reason at all why boys shouldn't see a Lady Doctor as a role model either.

And even if one took this at face value, it makes no sense to me. It's not like the Doctor was the only male character on television, right? And if this is boys losing a role model, wouldn't that be balanced by girls gaining one? Or is his ideal world one where only boys have a role model?
On a happier note, another Doctor has stepped up. Colin Baker tweeted, "Cannot deny that I am amazed by the 'never watch it again' reaction by some viewers (I hesitate to call them 'fans'). Very sad"
Good for him!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In my estimation, the "lesson" that a young person was to take away from Doctor Who (intentional or otherwise) was never one that had anything to do with gender.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:In my estimation, the "lesson" that a young person was to take away from Doctor Who (intentional or otherwise) was never one that had anything to do with gender.
I had a big discussion on this subject with somebody a week or so back. Eventually what I came up with was a simple question : is there ANY aspect of the Doctor's character that cannot be present in a woman? Anything at all?

As I see it...

The Doctor is kind and caring towards others. A woman can be kind and caring towards others.

The Doctor is lonely. A woman can be be lonely.

The Doctor is brave. A woman can be be brave.

The Doctor is intelligent and knowledgeable. A woman can be intelligent and knowledgeable.

The Doctor is inspiring. A woman can be inspiring.

The Doctor lies. A woman can lie.

The Doctor is compassionate. A woman can be compassionate.

The Doctor is a tragic figure. A woman can be a tragic figure.

So what here is the fundamental difference that is upsetting people? Unless you are literally bothered by the fact that she doesn't have a dick in her pants in and of itself, I honestly cannot understand why people think a female Doctor would be any different. Outside the normal range of how different any given incarnation is from another, that is.

It's not even like this is some action hero where we're having to accept that a girl can beat up guys twice her size or anything. The Doctor doesn't run round shooting and having fights like John McClane, he solves things with his brain.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

All of which was exactly my thought process. The Doctor doesn't solve things with physicality, in which case the actual physical differences between genders would come into play. Even if that were to be an issue, I'm not sure I could say definitively that the typical dimorphism in physical ability that exhibits in humans exhibits equivalently in Gallifreyans.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my son. He's eight years old, so I consider his stance one of youth rather than misogyny; in any event, he, his older sister, and I were deciding on a movie to see. The idea of WW was floated, at which he stated that he wasn't too interested in a "girl" superhero. I asked him if he thought soldiers were adequately suited to be action heroes, to which he responded in the affirmative, and then let him know that the actress who played Wonder Woman used to make a living teaching soldiers in one of the tougher armies in the world how to fight.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Good on Colin Baker, boo on peter Davison. Some blowback was to be expected, no matter what. it's part of the natural cycle of a new Doctor. But I agree with Mikey. The misogyny is rather bullshitty.