Final Doctor?

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Final Doctor?

Post by Varthikes »

With Capaldi leaving, this will be the Doctor's 12th regeneration. It's been established, at least in the classic Who, that Time Lords can regenerate up to 12 times. So, does this mean the next incarnation of the Doctor will be the last?

I've only watched a couple episodes of the new series so far as I spent the last few years watching the old series from Jon Pertwee's years on, watching the stories that sounded interesting and which were available in Region 1 for a reasonable price. Currently, I'm about to start the last year of Sylvester McCoy. If something was established since then to override this rule, let me know.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Final Doctor?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Varthikes wrote:With Capaldi leaving, this will be the Doctor's 12th regeneration. It's been established, at least in the classic Who, that Time Lords can regenerate up to 12 times. So, does this mean the next incarnation of the Doctor will be the last?

I've only watched a couple episodes of the new series so far as I spent the last few years watching the old series from Jon Pertwee's years on, watching the stories that sounded interesting and which were available in Region 1 for a reasonable price. Currently, I'm about to start the last year of Sylvester McCoy. If something was established since then to override this rule, let me know.
Actually they already dealt with that.

Smith was the 12th Doctor. Which is confusing, but...

There was a Doctor we didn't know about, the "War Doctor", who fought in the time war. Played by Ian Hurt. The others didn't like to talk about him because he's the one that destroyed Gallifrey.

Then there was a wasted regeneration when Tennant made a copy of himself out of his severed hand.

They had a whole story where Smith's Doctor got old and was expecting to die forgood, but the Time Lords gave him a whole new set of Regenerations.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Ah... Thanks for clearing that up.

So, the regeneration count starts over from Smith?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Varthikes wrote:Ah... Thanks for clearing that up.

Yep.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well "Peter Capaldi" is the new 1st Doctor, making room for 12 more after him.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:

Well "Peter Capaldi" is the new 1st Doctor, making room for 12 more after him.
And I'd bet dollars to donuts they'll do the same thing when the next Number Thirteen rolls around.