Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits

Post by Nutso »

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01- ... is-chibnal
Steven Moffat has decided that his “timey wimey” as showrunner of Doctor Who has come to an end and he will step down as the show’s lead writer and executive producer after six series at the helm, RadioTimes.com can reveal.

Moffatt will hand over the keys to the TARDIS at the end of the next series in 2017 to Broadchurch writer and Doctor Who fan Chris Chibnall.

BBC1 has decided to air Moffat’s final 12-part series - the 10th of the modern era - in spring 2017. Chibnall’s debut series as head writer and executive producer will launch in 2018.

A Christmas special WILL air this year overseen by Moffat, though it is unclear whether Peter Capaldi’s new companion will feature. The companion, who will replace Jenna Coleman's Clara Oswald, will definitely be in place for the spring 2017 series, say BBC sources.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat quits

Post by Griffin »

I'm a little sad since I'm of the opinion Moffat is one of the finest writers the show has ever had, but I guess it's best he leaves lest that opinion change like it did with RTD. I like Chibnall as a choice.
At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sad to see him go, but honestly it'll probably be good for the show. The strength of Doctor Who is the ability it has to endlessly reinvent itself on almost every level, a new fresh showrunner would be a great shot in the arm.

And honestly, whilst there's plenty to like about Moffat's time on the show I could do with a few seasons that weren't quite so convolutedly timey-wimey. Moffat seemed to delight in confusing people sometimes...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I loved the vast majority of what he did. Not all of it, but a lot. Sad to see him go.

Although no new Who until December. Yikes!