No votes

Total votes: 6
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

S36E02: The Witch's Familiar

Post by Captain Seafort »

Starts at 1945 BST.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: S36E02: The Witch's Familiar

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"Your sewers are revolting!"

I loved EVERYTHING about this one! :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Liked it. I was glad they got the "Missy and Clara are dead" thing out of the way quite fast, like the idea of the "slightly alive" sewers. I was a bit confused by what exactly the sewer Daleks actually did to harm other Daleks, though. I was half expecting them to all rise up like some kind of ooze monster, like a Dalek version of the Blob or something, and smash all the Daleks. Instead it seemed like the other Daleks just kind of died on the spot for no reason. Maybe I missed something?

And sonic glasses? Just kind of silly.

Loved the scenes with Davros playing nice. They even had me wondering if he might actually mean it, though I never really believed it. Am I the only one who expected to see him completely regenerate, become a normal-looking Human (or rather, Kaled)? That would have been a VERY bold thing for them to do, to lose the iconic look of Davros. It felt like they played it safe a bit to just say he was better whilst keeping all his obvious infirmities the same.

But on the whole, it was a worthy part 2.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I was kinda freaked out by the shots of him lying out of his chair. But then it makes sense to be half a man.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My fave dialogue of the episode -
Clara: "We're not a team!"
Missy: "Of course we are - every miner needs a canary."

In general, this ep was a fantastic redemption of the haphazard first part. Missy showed even more strongly that she may be as evil as the Master ever was, but in a much more charismatic and fun way - helped in no small part by Gomez' great performance.
Graham Kennedy wrote:I was glad they got the "Missy and Clara are dead" thing out of the way quite fast
Indeed. We all knew that they weren't dead, and we all knew that it wold be accomplished by some sort of handwaving. At least Moffat &co didn't try to play it up or pretend that there was some real plot point behind it.
Graham Kennedy wrote: like the idea of the "slightly alive" sewers
Now that to me was a bit of a one-off, that turned out to be a true bit of handwaving that was passed off as a real plot point. If there was any one bit of this ep that left a weird aftertaste, this was it.
Graham Kennedy wrote:I was a bit confused by what exactly the sewer Daleks actually did to harm other Daleks, though.
I think they infiltrated the casings of the "living" Daleks and killed them. If you recall, Missy reached into the vehicle of the Dalek that Clara baited and pulled out a blackened and greasy Dalek after the "ooze" got into it.
Graham Kennedy wrote:And sonic glasses? Just kind of silly.
Considering what a fiat scriptorum the sonic has been, turning it into a pair of shades is par for the course.
Graham Kennedy wrote:Am I the only one who expected to see him completely regenerate, become a normal-looking Human (or rather, Kaled)? That would have been a VERY bold thing for them to do, to lose the iconic look of Davros. It felt like they played it safe a bit to just say he was better whilst keeping all his obvious infirmities the same.
Perhaps, I sure didn't expect that. I didn't feel like they "played it safe," rather I felt that an incomplete or unaccomplished regeneration was what was to be expected... especially considering that the Doctor wasn't really too drained subsequently.
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I was kinda freaked out by the shots of him lying out of his chair. But then it makes sense to be half a man.
Actually, I might have expected an atrophied pair of legs, but the sight of Davros terminated at the middle wasn't too shocking. That sort of injury sort of put to the test the credibility of him surviving well enough to command and wait for help outside of his chair, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Could be that it wasn't an injury at all. If he gradually lost the circulation in his legs, the point would be reached where his doctors would want to amputate them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Now tat I ponder it, I never actually had considered what Davros looked like below the waist.

Quiet, you. :P