S35E6: Kill the Moon [spoilers]

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

S35E6: Kill the Moon [spoilers]

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bloody good episode that - the best of this series by a decent margin, with the Doctor's speech about taking the stabilisers off the bike being the high point.

Edit: And four stars. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: S35E6: Kill the Moon [spoilers]

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm quite liking Clara's resistance to the Doctor's morally "Grey" stand point. I don't remember seeing such a negative relationship between the Doctor and his companion; there's so much potential.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Well, the First Doctor did drug Ian and Barbara and try to throw them out into the Time/Space vortex, that was pretty negative :P .
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

To be honest, there were a number of things that didn't sit right with me for this episode. The moon being some huge egg for one thing, and how the creature was born and then birthed another stretched even my Whovian standards of suspension of disbelief. Courtney's a fucking awful character. the astronaut was just so... boring. The whole turning inward makes little sense compared to Earth history in Who even just taking into account the new series. The Doctor was above and beyond an asshole. And Clara's little tantrum at the end was just a WTF moment for me.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with basically everything you've just said. :)
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The bad science was a little painful - they make a big point of the moon's gravity changing, but no reason for it is ever given. The whole "hatching egg" thing shouldn't have made the moon's mass fluctuate at all.

I laughed when they said there were no minerals at all on the moon. Um... what? We already collected minerals off the moon, we know for a fact it's made of minerals. The sensible thing is to say it's an egg whose outer surface is minerals. To say there are no minerals there is to say is used to be made of minerals, but then in the last stages before it cracked, the outer composition changed for some non-reason.

And since when does a newborn baby immediately lay an egg? Let alone an egg that is bigger than it is?

But I did like the Doctor's "Yeah... this one's your problem" approach, and I liked how they solved it (though would ALL the lights go out, seriously? NOBODY disagreed?), and the concept was pretty cool.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Courtney's a fucking awful character
At least I can agree on that. May this be the last time she's seen.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I actually liked The Doctor's decision to let Humans decide their own fate, even if they didn't want to. I also appreciate that no Human kept their lights on. Who the fuck wants to die so that something else may live? Although I have to wonder if the governments of the World told all its citizens to "shut off those lights or we will kill you." People probably went to the houses/buildings with lights on and killed those lights themselves. Forty minutes of pure anarchy and chaos in the streets.

Clara made a gutsy decision to go against the World. I could understand why she is so mad at The Doctor. The weight of the world was put on her shoulders when The Doctor knew what would happen in the end. I wonder if that kid had done it, would it be corny or the beginning of a stupid, ugly child learning to be something greater than she is.

I can forgive the foray into Fantasy with the moon=egg nonsense and then lay an egg bigger than itself. Peter Capaldi's monologue was more important than thinking of the ridiculous science involved. It did remind me of Star Trek: First Contact when Troi tells Dr. Cochran that his warp speed experiment will unite all of humanity.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park