Dr Who : The Time of the Doctor

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dr Who : The Time of the Doctor

Post by IanKennedy »

I've not seem it mentioned at all so I thought I would start it off. The xmas special this year was "The time of the Doctor". What did people think. For me it was interesting, but I'm still not sure if I like it or not. Which is kinda odd given I've seen it twice now.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Dr Who : The Time of the Doctor

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I haven't had a chance to see it. I've heard mixed reviews for the most part.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mixed is about how I'd describe it. It was kind of fairytale-ish, which is something that the Matt Smith stories have tended to be quite often and something that I don't like very much. To be honest I was a little underwhelmed, especially given that this came on the heels of the 50th Anniversary special, which was far and away superior.

Nice to see the regeneration limit thing definitively addressed and put behind us. Nice to get a first glimpse of Capaldi. Nice to see the Silence and the Question addressed - I was getting bored with them, so it's good to have them behind us now. Nice to know what the cracks are about, finally. Nice to see the little cameo at the end there. Other than that... meh.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It was okay. Didn't like that Clara had to pray for the Doctor to be saved but, whatever. Nice tying up the crack in the wall, and the regeneration issue.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Pardon the thread necro, but I figured this thing hasn't gone beyond the first page, so hopefully it'll be okay. Anyway, I finally watched my DVD of it. It... wasn't 'bad'. Not the worst by a long shot. I did hate how they shoved the whole 'Silecne will Fall' subplot explanation into a friggin infodump. :madashell: Eleven's end was touching, though.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I think it was brilliant, though it could have done to be a two parter I think. I absolutely love how basically all of eleven's adventures have been a consequence of what he did in this episode. I really like how Steven really utilises the time travel aspect of the show in a way that I don't think has really done before, except perhaps in "Festival of Death" by Jonathan Morris. (though there may be a classic episode that did I haven't come across yet). The fairytale thing will of course come down to personal taste and personally I quite liked it, but I do hope that's the last of it.

The regeneration itself is easily the best of the new series IMO, especially since at the actual change they ditched the "RTD Approved Timelord Regeneration pose (TM)". Glad too see the Regeneration limit addressed, and that the Regen in Stolen Earth counted.

I saw people complain that the timelords wouldn't give the Doctor more regens (because they're assholes or something Idk), but I'm convinced that those people don't watch the show properly or have only seen the RTD Soap opera version. I mean, the timelords may have put him on trial twice but 1) They tried to make him president before. 2) His last interaction with them was to save them all from the Daleks and the Time War.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Griffin wrote:I saw people complain that the timelords wouldn't give the Doctor more regens (because they're assholes or something Idk), but I'm convinced that those people don't watch the show properly or have only seen the RTD Soap opera version. I mean, the timelords may have put him on trial twice but 1) They tried to make him president before. 2) His last interaction with them was to save them all from the Daleks and the Time War.
They've also got previous when it comes to handing out extra cycles - to the Master of all people. They offered him a new cycle in return for helping out in The Five Doctors, and gave one when they resurrected him to fight in the Time War. The second was during RTD's run, so it isn't even a case of just watching post-2005.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.