Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Seafort wrote:That was pretty damn good. Jumped about between stories a bit too much for my taste, but still pretty good. Best moment had to be that big one at the end though:
Hello Tom!
That scene warmed my cold, cynical heart. :)
Tom's still got it.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

All though would it be too much trouble for the doctor's companions to, you know, actually travel with him rather than take the odd weekend excursion.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Griffin wrote:All though would it be too much trouble for the doctor's companions to, you know, actually travel with him rather than take the odd weekend excursion.
You mean live with him?
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Griffin wrote:All though would it be too much trouble for the doctor's companions to, you know, actually travel with him rather than take the odd weekend excursion.
That's been a bugbear for the entire new series. Ever since Aliens of London, the new series has treated the companions' home era/location as a base for adventures, rather than something that gets left behind completely and where they might, if they're lucky, get dropped off when they decide to leave.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That does kind of make sense, though. I mean, if you can go anywhere in space and time then there's no reason you can't go back home whenever you feel like it. Hell, you could be half way through dealing with some situation, pop back home and spend a few months catching up on your favourite TV shows, and then go back to just one second after you left. Travelling with the Doctor really isn't like travelling on a starship or something in that sense.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:That does kind of make sense, though. I mean, if you can go anywhere in space and time then there's no reason you can't go back home whenever you feel like it. Hell, you could be half way through dealing with some situation, pop back home and spend a few months catching up on your favourite TV shows, and then go back to just one second after you left. Travelling with the Doctor really isn't like travelling on a starship or something in that sense.
The Tardis has a well-established track record of steering like a supermarket trolley at the best of times, either because it's obsolete junk or she's doing it deliberately. It even came up in AoL, when they turned up 12 months late. This makes it incredible that you can rely on the blasted thing to arrive at an agreed location and time.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:The Tardis has a well-established track record of steering like a supermarket trolley at the best of times, either because it's obsolete junk or she's doing it deliberately. It even came up in AoL, when they turned up 12 months late. This makes it incredible that you can rely on the blasted thing to arrive at an agreed location and time.
It's actually a hell of a lot more reliable than it used to be. It still glitches - or deliberately chooses a different destination - now and again, but that's nothing to what's happened in the past. Hell, he spent about three seasons trying to get Tegan back to Earth in roughly the right timeframe, frequently arriving on the wrong planet, thousands of years out, etc.

These days the Tardis pretty much gets where and when it's going about 90% of the time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Anyone else notice who the superintendent of Coal Hill School is? :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

HA, that's brilliant. I didn't see that at all!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:HA, that's brilliant. I didn't see that at all!
I'd almost pay real money to see a well-written fanfic of Ian meeting up with Eleven via Clara.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I liked when Baker and Smith are talking and Baker says something like, "I could be you. You could be me." then puts his hand out to shake Smith's hand and says "congratulations!" as it is an honor for Smith to be Baker... HA! Loved that part.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

PS... I won a Flight Control TARDIS at a 50th viewing party this weekend. Before the show started we were given cards and pens and asked to write down spoilers of what we thought would happen. They premised the game by admitting that some people might have read spoilers online and know what was going to happen... so it was not an accuracy contest, but a creativity/humor contest. I wasted time and had only a few moments to write something so I was not able to get too creative... but I figured I would use one of my favorite lines. I said "Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff." There were a lot og generic answers, and a couple of good ones including a dance-off... but the group voted timey-wimey to be the best.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I liked the whole "Last timelord left, angsty after wiping out the others" thing, but they've been playing that out for eight years now. Really, I think they've wrung about all they can out of it, and it's kind of cool to dangle the possibility that they will reintroduce Gallifrey at some point and have other timelords wandering about. That gives them a lot of new story possibilities.
Maybe when the new Doctor is born his personality will be defined as "hopeful" as he will be on the hunt to bring back Gallifrey. His mission is to never be The Last of the Timelords again.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:HA, that's brilliant. I didn't see that at all!
I'd almost pay real money to see a well-written fanfic of Ian meeting up with Eleven via Clara.
I got my money's worth seeing Doctor #4 interact with a modern Doctor. :D
Stan - South Park