Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Another nod to continuity - when Gallifrey and the Dalek fleet "explodes", you see a single tiny Dalek attack pod tumbling away, damaged but intact. It's the one Ecclestone encountered. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I wonder if Eccleston's Doctor would have had a violent reaction to the Hurt Doctor?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Probably. I suspect his attitude towards the other two would be contempt. It's a great pity that Eccleston didn't want to do the special, because I reckon that, as good as the byplay between the Doctors was, adding Nine would have made it truly extraordinary. While the War Doctor was too caught up in the immediate action of ending the Time War to really reflect on it, and the other two felt his action as a slowly fading ache, for the Ninth it was a open wound, that wouldn't really heal until the destruction of the Emperor's fleet in The Parting of the Ways, and I think the story missed that third perspective..
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Seafort wrote:Probably. I suspect his attitude towards the other two would be contempt. It's a great pity that Eccleston didn't want to do the special, because I reckon that, as good as the byplay between the Doctors was, adding Nine would have made it truly extraordinary. While the War Doctor was too caught up in the immediate action of ending the Time War to really reflect on it, and the other two felt his action as a slowly fading ache, for the Ninth it was a open wound, that wouldn't really heal until the destruction of the Emperor's fleet in The Parting of the Ways, and I think the story missed that third perspective..
I agree. There would have been that extra tension if the four of them were in that same prison. They all have something to get off their chests.

I feel the presence of the Ninth would have added rage to the situation. He's the one living with the fresh memory of causing the mass death, unlike the others. He would hate War Doctor, and show real contempt for Smith when he learns he has moved on. When Tennant answered the question of how many children where on Gallifrey that day (2.47billion), Eccleston would have snarled the exact number. We might have seen him shed a tear at the fact he didn't kill off his own people, but he will never remember when he returns to his timeline.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, yeah. Foaming at the mouth, eyes bugged out, snarling... Eccleston would be a walking time bomb.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Nutso wrote:I wonder if Eccleston's Doctor would have had a violent reaction to the Hurt Doctor?
"The one who regrets, the one who forgets, and the one who's been punching you in the face for the last hour"
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, yeah. Foaming at the mouth, eyes bugged out, snarling... Eccleston would be a walking time bomb.
No he wouldn't. Time bombs, as the name suggests, generally have a pause before they go off. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, yeah. Foaming at the mouth, eyes bugged out, snarling... Eccleston would be a walking time bomb.
No he wouldn't. Time bombs, as the name suggests, generally have a pause before they go off. :wink:
Yeah. The pause was before he met the other three. ;)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I love that final shot of them, standing there. :)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Awesome. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

That's cool, although some of them seem to be a bit of a stretch...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And now DOTD breaks the iPlayer 24 hour download record, beating out the Olympic opening ceremony.

And it picked up the most tweets ever for a drama program, too.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

So the hits just keep on coming... :D