The Night of the Doctor (webisode and spoilers abound!)

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

The Night of the Doctor (webisode and spoilers abound!)

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

BBC link
Paul's back!
Last edited by RK_Striker_JK_5 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Night of the Doctor (webisode)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You beat me to it! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It was for a good cause. ;)
Also, the Sisters of Karn
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Soooo, the biggest thing of this is that we now know that...
Eccleston was not in fact the ninth Doctor, but the tenth. John Hurt was the ninth Doctor, aka "The War Doctor". So presumably, it was he who destroyed the Time Lords?

This makes Tennant the eleventh and Smith the twelfth Doctors.

Or are they? Apparently it has been claimed that "people who think the Doctor has lives left have miscounted", or words to that effect.
Incidentally, since everything about this webisode is a spoiler, should we simply put spoiler in the title and drop the boxes? It would seem the sensible thing to do.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Night of the Doctor (webisode and spoilers abound!)

Excellent point. I have changed the title.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ironically, the existence of another incarnation between McGann and Eccleston was forecast all the way back in School Reunion, when Tennant's Doctor told Sarah that he'd regenerated "half a dozen times" since they last met. Since she met Davison in The Five Doctors, that meant "Ten" was outright stating that he was actually Eleven. On top of that, I think Smith is actually Thirteen, since Tennant was Eleven prior to Stolen Earth/Journey's End and Twelve after then. This therefore makes him the final incarnation under the old "twelve regenerations" rule. I suspect Moffat's inserted Hurt deliberately, to make Smith Thirteen, Capaldi the impossible Fourteenth, and therefore tackle the issue of the limit head on for the anniversary.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I have had the feeling they are going to do something to make Smith the last Doctor too.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

God, i completely forgot about the Five Doctors. Everyone almost always focuses on Tom and Lis. Good catch, Seafort.

Anyway, they're gonna do something about the limit. Too much money, after all.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Anyway, they're gonna do something about the limit. Too much money, after all.
Not necessarily. There was never any chance of them ending the series after Thirteen, but my concern has always been that it would simply be ignored. I hope my theory that Moffat is deliberately making Smith Thirteen so the limit can be consciously addressed and removed is correct.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

So Moffat's pretty seamless joined the Classic Who with the New Who there, AND canonized the audios. Wow, remind me why people think he's worse than RTD again?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Seafort wrote:Ironically, the existence of another incarnation between McGann and Eccleston was forecast all the way back in School Reunion, when Tennant's Doctor told Sarah that he'd regenerated "half a dozen times" since they last met. Since she met Davison in The Five Doctors, that meant "Ten" was outright stating that he was actually Eleven. On top of that, I think Smith is actually Thirteen, since Tennant was Eleven prior to Stolen Earth/Journey's End and Twelve after then. This therefore makes him the final incarnation under the old "twelve regenerations" rule. I suspect Moffat's inserted Hurt deliberately, to make Smith Thirteen, Capaldi the impossible Fourteenth, and therefore tackle the issue of the limit head on for the anniversary.
Does that mean Moffat will have to tackle the Valeyard as well?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Valeyard fell between the Doctor's Twelfth and final incarnations, which means that if he was going to show up at all it would have been during The End of Time. In any event, the Valeyard's sort of already shown up, in Amy's Choice.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The Valeyard was also mentioned in Name of the Doctor.