SF Debris: Doctor Who: Cancelled!

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: Doctor Who: Cancelled!

Post by Nutso »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ed-6636808
SF Debris takes a look at the events that led up to the original cancellation of Doctor Who back in 1989.
Last edited by Nutso on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SF Debris: Docor Who: Cancelled!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There has been, for a very long time, an institutional opinion in the BBC that science fiction is for children. And to give you an idea of the age range they had in mind, the standard science fiction timeslot for many years was 6pm on BBC 2 - that's when Trek was shown, along with things like Buffy - because they wanted to be sure to show these things before the kids started going to bed.

It's changed a bit in the last ten years or so, thankfully. But even now you'll find most sci fi and fantasy is firmly in the kids/family bracket. Offhand the only one I remember the BBC doing for adults in recent memory is Torchwood.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SF Debris: Docor Who: Cancelled!

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

God, Michael Grade can go to hell. :madashell: !ouch)

The Twin Dilemma... yeah, that one was bad. Back in 2012 when I flew out to Utah, this was one of the two serials I brought for my friends to watch. We spent almost the entire run of it doing an MST3K on it.