Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Genesis of the Daleks

Post by Captain Seafort »

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Good review by Chuck of a magnificent episode, although it's a pity he didn't use the lead Dalek's final monologue to close the review.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SFDebris: Genesis of the Daleks

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Excellent review, yes. But... again. Te Doctor was wrong not to destroy the Daleks. IMHO, mind.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Any good that comes from their existence was outweighed by the bad and the fact that they've got a decent shot at winning and really exterminating all other life in the cosmos. There's no real moral quandry when it comes to wiping out the Daleks IMO. They are one of the most purely evil antagonists in all of sci-fi.

Though can someone more in tune with Who explain to me why one of the later doctors couldn't go back in time, grab 4's hands and force the wires together?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Though can someone more in tune with Who explain to me why one of the later doctors couldn't go back in time, grab 4's hands and force the wires together?
Because crossing one's own timestream has always been described and depicted as a very bad idea. Three hit the roof when Two showed up in The Three Doctors, most of Mawdryn Undead consisted of everyone desperately trying to prevent the two Brigs running into each other (and it was implied to be very fortunate the energy release when they did had somewhere to go), and Nine was on the verge of panicking at him and Rose simply hiding round the corner from their previous selves in Father's Day.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It's even got a name in-universe, the 'Blinovitch Limitation Effect'. Basically, despite Ten's whining, all the Docs really are the same person. And meeting your younger self can do some bad mojo on the space-time continuum.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I don't think the BLE applies across incarnations - we've seen plenty of shaking of hands between them without massive energy releases, so the problem of incarnations meeting must be a separate issue.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:I don't think the BLE applies across incarnations - we've seen plenty of shaking of hands between them without massive energy releases, so the problem of incarnations meeting must be a separate issue.
Well, the majority of them were due to outside interference, right? Maybe that's a mitigating factor. *Shrugs*