Nicholas Courtney, the Brigadier, dead at 81

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Nicholas Courtney, the Brigadier, dead at 81

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

He never worked with the new Doctors. :(
Nicholas Courtney, best known for his role as Brigadier in the UK's original "Doctor Who" series, has passed away at the age of 81. Courtney actually worked with more versions of the Doctor than any other actor, having appeared in 107 episodes of the sci-fi series, several TV shorts, and reprising the role of Brigadier in "The Sarah Jane Adventures."

Born in Cairo, Egypt on Dec. 16, 1929 as William Nicholas Stone Courtney, Courtney served in the British Army before becoming an actor. Before breaking out on "Doctor Who," Courtney was in several cult hit television series.

He first appeared on "Doctor Who" in 1965 in "The Dalek's Master Plan." Ultimately, when David Langton gave up the role of Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, Courtney was cast in the role, which became his best-known "Doctor Who" role.

Courtney, whose most recent acting credit is 2009's "Liberty Hall" short (as Lethbridge-Stewart) was also an accomplished writers. He's published memoirs "Five Rounds Rapid!," "A Soldier in Time," and "Still Getting Away With It"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Re: Nicholas Courtney, the Brigadier, dead at 81

Post by colmquinn »

RIP.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

RIP.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RIP :(

An interesting note: Courtney appeared in more episodes than any but the first four Doctors, even if you count the 45-minute ones as double and "The End of Time" Pt 2 as triple.
He first appeared on "Doctor Who" in 1965 in "The Dalek's Master Plan." Ultimately, when David Langton gave up the role of Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, Courtney was cast in the role, which became his best-known "Doctor Who" role.
They haven't done their research particularly well. Lethbridge-Stewart was a Colonel in his first appearance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I remember him punching out the Master in 'The Five Doctors'. *Sigh* Memories.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:They haven't done their research particularly well. Lethbridge-Stewart was a Colonel in his first appearance.
Yes, but was he yet a brigadier when Langton was replaced by Courtney? If so, then the article's statement is completely accurate.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Yes, but was he yet a brigadier when Langton was replaced by Courtney? If so, then the article's statement is completely accurate.
Courtney played the Brig right from the start in "Web of Fear" - Langton binned it before they started filming.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I remember him punching out the Master in 'The Five Doctors'. *Sigh* Memories.
"Jenkins! Chap with wings there - five rounds, rapid."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I remember him punching out the Master in 'The Five Doctors'. *Sigh* Memories.
"Jenkins! Chap with wings there - five rounds, rapid."
"Just once I wish we weren't facing an enemy who was immune to bullets!"

Oh, they'd better do a tribute to him in the new series. And not just a title card at the beginning or end of an episode!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, they'd better do a tribute to him in the new series. And not just a title card at the beginning or end of an episode!
That's all Jon Petwee got, though I entirely agree. There may have been many great companions of various Doctors over the years - Jamie and Two, Sarah Jane and Four, Romana and Four, Ace and Seven, but they've always been limited in that respect. Only the Brig can truly be called a companion of the Doctor, not just of a given incarnation, even though he'll always be associated with Three.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, they'd better do a tribute to him in the new series. And not just a title card at the beginning or end of an episode!
That's all Jon Petwee got, though I entirely agree. There may have been many great companions of various Doctors over the years - Jamie and Two, Sarah Jane and Four, Romana and Four, Ace and Seven, but they've always been limited in that respect. Only the Brig can truly be called a companion of the Doctor, not just of a given incarnation, even though he'll always be associated with Three.
If you factor in 'The Five Doctors', he's been with the first seven, right? That's probably more than any other companion ever will. And that's all Pertwee got? Damn. :(
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:If you factor in 'The Five Doctors', he's been with the first seven, right?
Only 1-5 and 7. He should have appeared with 10 in the SJA, but Courtney's schedule didn't work out unfortuantely.
that's all Pertwee got? Damn. :(
He died between the US and UK broadcasts of the TVM, and the UK broadcast was dedicated to him.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

On another note, I think this belongs here rather than PCE
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:If you factor in 'The Five Doctors', he's been with the first seven, right?
Only 1-5 and 7. He should have appeared with 10 in the SJA, but Courtney's schedule didn't work out unfortuantely.
He never appeared with Six? Shows the man's got taste. ;)
that's all Pertwee got? Damn. :(
He died between the US and UK broadcasts of the TVM, and the UK broadcast was dedicated to him.[/quote]
Ah, thanks. A shame, there.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:He never appeared with Six? Shows the man's got taste. ;)
Personally, I like Six, if not his dress sense.