B2 OOC

Moderator: Lt. Staplic

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

B2 OOC

Post by Lt. Staplic »

This will be the general discussion for the Beta2.0 discussion thread.

some things I want to clear up:

For now all diplomacy must be conducted via PM's. The separation of different groups will make an IC thread containing everything impractical. Therefore diplomacy must be conducted via PM's. All IC PM's must cc myself.

Something I would like to see happen this SIM is how the IC thread, PM's and misc. other threads are treated:
PM's should be considered the normal method of communication between states. These conversations will exist on record if they cc myself. Each state is of course allowed to have off-the-record conversations at both parties discretion; however as these don't include the GM and therefore aren't part of public knowledge these conversatoins will not provide evidence for any course of action you may need evidence for.

The IC thread should be considered by all to be a public address. There is no ongoing conference where everyone is always assembled. Things like State of the Unions and public addresses it what should go up in the IC thread.

If it is desired to have conferences and summits I have no problem creating new threads for these. it'll also make it easier to separate that conversation and allow for the whole summit to be on a time limit of a day or two to simulate only a few months of work on an issue.

Lastly:
I am not starting everyone fair. Some are ahead of others, some are WAY ahead of others…however within your own starting ring things should be roughly the same, and from there it’s up to you to bridge gaps. I will be much more allowing of the weaker species to advance their tech than I will the more advanced ones in the beginning; however I will not hold one player back if another doesn’t expand; nor will I allow weaker players to simply grow without questions.

Since everyone knows all of the races I’ll just lay this out publicly:

Coaliton knows only of themselves and the Klingon Empire

The Klingons and Romulans both know of eachother and the Coalition

The Cardassians and Breen know about eachother

The Ferangi are alone

I have created this map from scratch and thus the layout is different from the A/B 1.0 maps or the A2.0 map. I am putting this up here because I know that, for instance, the Coalition Player will know there are Romulans OOC; however IC I want everyone to know that they have no idea the Romulans even exist, let alone what they may be like or how to strategically plan against them before first contact has been made.

I will also let everyone know that there are certain major systems from canon that were not part of the starting empires that are on the map. Places like bajor, chin’toka, narendra, etc are on the map. There aren’t many of these, however these systems will be much easier to locate than normal new planets. If you start exploring in the right area, I’ll give it to you.

Map expansion by exploration will be an ongoing source of frustration for everyone. I’m telling you that right now. There will be 4 maps used at the start of the SIM: Coaliton, Klingon-Romulan, Cardassian-Breen, and Ferangi. Some of the maps overlap a little bit, in those cases manual editing of the map is done to erase other powers.

3 things to note:

1. Until all 5 maps are unified onto the master map, planet positions not on the map at the start will change. Not by much, hopefully, but they will when I transcribe all the added planets onto the master map.
2. All expansions recorded by any race will be visible to all other races on their map. I’m sorry, I know this isn’t the way it would work, especially in the case of two dictatorial states; however I don’t really want to have to keep track of and modify eight maps and deal with issues of when to let other states know about these other things.
3. Map expansion will be slow to turn around. Rather than expand the map every turn with exploration, as of now, I plan on redoing maps once every set number of turns (depending on the length of the turn and the speeds reached IC). I can also tell you that the map will not expand by exact quantities. I.e. if you explore 3 LY in one direction the map will not move out 3LY worth of pixels in that direction. That’s due mostly to me not wanting to do some rather long and tedious calculations every time I redo a map because of the limitations in the system I’m using. This will be okay however because even if the map is over expanded there will be nothing but blank space there, anything already on the map that hasn’t been found will be manually hidden, as for other findable things they are done by random roll each turn and therefore aren’t even on the map yet.

With that said. Turns are due on Saturday. this will be a 1 year set-up turn.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: B2 OOC

Post by Deepcrush »

Did you send out the turns already?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've got mine out; I'll assume that's a yes :)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mine was apparently corrupt. And the sheet has a password. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mine read as having a password on my tablet, but it was using Polaris office so it might be that. I'll try on excel tonight.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

is it prompting you for a password to open the document?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lt. Staplic wrote:is it prompting you for a password to open the document?
Yep.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

odd....it's not doing that for me. I'll try and figure it out.

Also, It was brought to my attention that I may have forgotten to update max mass on the ship R&D calculator, so if anyone is planning on doing an R&D project this turn, let me know and I'll send you a fix.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

CJ, got a number of questions and issues with my turn. Sorry for the delay but work and trying to figure out what the deal is with my SS just sucked up more time then I expected.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

not a problem I sent you a reply. If you, or anyone else has any questions please feel free to PM me/email me.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

A couple things I'd like to say, having listened to a few communications and thoughts from players:

1. about this turn. this is a set-up turn so basically use this to get your Empire going in the direction you'd like to go. The next few turns will be 5-year turns to really allow some growth to develop. After that depending on things we'll vary turn lengths between 1,2,and 5 years.

2. Don't get too caught up in your identities with these powers. Yes at their cores they are still the same people; however this SIM is designed to let you play these powers as you see fit. This isn't to say that the Romulans can become freeware advocates or the Tholians can start breathing Oxygen; however this is before the Romulan-Klingon break in relations that lead to the longstanding hatred between the two races. This is before the Humans/Coalition have really begun relations with the Klingons, before their long cold war, and long long before the beginnings of an alliance that won the Dominion War. You all get to decide how relations will go without the restraint of canon events interfering.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Alright I m currently working on my sheet (first free moment all week, just started my first real job so very busy). Its rather different, so I will be spending all afternoon on it. You will get it by tonight unless I have problems/distractions.

Also Staplic, I may Skype you later with questions.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

stitch626 wrote:Also Staplic, I may Skype you later with questions.
I may not show as online, but feel free to message me, If I'm not on then I'll get to it as soon as I get on. That goes for anyone on here. Anyone that has skype, and not my username PM me and I can give that to you.

Also to answer a question I've gotten a few times: If the player is on your map, then you can communicate with them.

I can also tell everyone, that I am working on the possibility of a small revision to the Endurance calculation. It's geared now toward the million ton ships, which is a major hinderance I hadn't thought about, especially to smaller races, so you can expect a change there.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Two other little updates:

1) Forgot to mention when sheets went out. the sheet doesn't allow decimal values in many places thus for most of you you'll see Torpedo or Beam firepower that are 0/1. These may not be their actual values as it simply rounds off. Most (but not all) 0's are simply small component ratings on the order of 0.1-0.4. So don't worry if you look like you have no firepower, it's there, it's just very small at present.

2) Directions. If possible It will be easier for me to keep track of coreward, rimward, spinward, and anti-spinward for our cardinal directions. These equate to the Top, bottom, right, and left of the map respectively. It's not a requirement that these are used; however it is preferred.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I didn't get a map. :?

I may PM you some questions later.