B2 OOC

Moderator: Lt. Staplic

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: B2 OOC

Post by Deepcrush »

Question, how can shipyards be costing anything when they aren't doing anything? That doesn't make sense on its own unless the spare tonnage is going to be opened to public use.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought unused shipyard capacity went into industrial capacity...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Probably because you still have to maintain the unused space/equipment. If I own a building that I'm not using I still have to pay for the property.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Probably because you still have to maintain the unused space/equipment. If I own a building that I'm not using I still have to pay for the property.
My thoughts exactly
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I thought unused shipyard capacity went into industrial capacity...
No. Shipyard capacity is deducted from the planets industrial capacity.

There fed is going to be maintenance. If you have space that your not using your going to have to do additional maintenance on it to keep it ready for an increase in ship building. Areas your already using I reasoned would already be getting plenty of attention from crews working there which is why this isn't a fee on total shipyard size.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So if the shipyards are going to be on a constant charge then we should be able to refocus the industry back into profit use.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, would there be a way to lower our shipyard tonnage?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Or increase our production ability?
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

You can re release shipyard capacity back into industrial capacity. Just submit it in your orders that you want to reduce yard X by Y tonnes and I'll reduce it before the turn starts.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Huh. I figured the whole point of having privatized shipyards would be that they would be used by the owners when I'm not contracting construction from them.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Huh. I figured the whole point of having privatized shipyards would be that they would be used by the owners when I'm not contracting construction from them.
There are different things that come about from having privitized vs public yards. While the yards themselves don't add directly into your industrial capacity, they are used in some of the later calculations run off of industrial capacity.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If I'm not using the tonnage then it shouldn't have any negative impact on a planet. There's no sense in building up a shipyard just to tear it down again. All you do is end up with a money sink.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Have to agree. A minor charge for the cost of maintaining the facility maybe but not a big money sink just to own a non-functional building. Its not using up resources beyond a few people left to watch it, some food and a little bit of whatever material you're race uses for power generation.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Hell, you don't even have to worry about power since there will be whole sections that aren't even on. A small cost, maybe applied to the tonnage would be fine. But for inactive yard-tonnage to hurt a planets production doesn't work.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Indeed. Charging a massive loss for unused tonnage doesn't make sense. Not using it means that yes, we won't see an economic benefit from it but we're not actively losing massive amounts of money from it either (in the form of paying large sums for it)