BETA SIM OOC THREAD

Moderator: Lt. Staplic

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: BETA SIM OOC THREAD

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Given the distances involved and the speeds ships can move at year turns might not be appropriate.
Agreed. Also, warp tech should be expensive and time consuming just to go up another point on the Cochrane scale. Tech increase in general should be pretty expensive and time consuming, really.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I'd suggest giving thought to laying out some warp corridors, or whatever it was they called the explanation for the distances the old Ent traveled in some of the movies. Would let people be spread out without being hopeless unable to interact, and would give another layer of territory worth squabbling over.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:I'd suggest giving thought to laying out some warp corridors, or whatever it was they called the explanation for the distances the old Ent traveled in some of the movies. Would let people be spread out without being hopeless unable to interact, and would give another layer of territory worth squabbling over.
GK called them "Warp Highways"; I think that works, unless Staplic has a better term. I formally endorse this idea.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I like the idea of warp corridors because it can create some natural choke points and important systems.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I could see a map being 100x more important in this...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well there wouldn't really be a single overall map that anyone but Staplic could see. We'd all have our own maps and have to fill things in as we found them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd love to join in on this if you'd all want another player.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

It will still be a while before this get's off the ground, due to the new growth models, I could easily test the new sheet and progress it constantly over the next three months to make sure things don't get out of hand, and still not be perfectly happy. However a lot of the other stuff is starting to fall into place, and we could start as early as January assuming I get my field tests for the new sheet, new battle system, and a few other things done by then.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So it's been a while and I thought I'd put up an update for everyone.

The sheet is coming along nicely, I have a few minor tweeks I'll probably need to do once I get everything put into it. I switched from an exponential growth model to a logistical model so that it put a cap on population based on the size of the empire. I added more player inputs on the policies and functioning of the government.

I'm reworking the ground combat system right now because I don't really like the way it came out and then I'll be looking to do some quick tests on everything to make sure it's going to work the way I want it to. When I get to that point I'll probably post the rules and start getting an idea of who is playing where.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Awesome to hear.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

All sounds very good :-) Once its ready, will new players be able to join?
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:All sounds very good :-) Once its ready, will new players be able to join?
Yes, when it's ready it'll be just like starting every other SIM, people will post their preferred position, I'll then let everyone know who they are playing and email out sheets and go from there.

If people want to start thinking about it the available PC races are:

The Coalition (Earth, Vulcan, Tellar, Andoria, and A. Centauri)
The Klingon Empire
The Romulan Star Empire
The Cardassian State
The Breen State
The Gorn State
The Tholian State
The Ferangi State

since the only government info we have for this period is on the first three all others will be semi-open to player choice as to the direction they wish to go with it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So this is a Ent-era right? If so it could be fun to play the Cardassians pre-social collapse. Back when they were growing through reform and culture, prior to the government corruption that broke the bank.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:So this is a Ent-era right? If so it could be fun to play the Cardassians pre-social collapse. Back when they were growing through reform and culture, prior to the government corruption that broke the bank.
I was thinking the same thing.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, the CU would be my first choice, the CA being my second. I think I want a break from the KE.