New Project

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: New Project

Post by Lighthawk »

I'll toss up a pre-official claim on Nal Hutta. *Gets a drool bucket and starts stockpiling Spice*
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah but you get no green stripper girls until we talk money.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Nooo! My one weakness.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:I'll toss up a pre-official claim on Nal Hutta. *Gets a drool bucket and starts stockpiling Spice*
Tyyr wrote:Yeah but you get no green stripper girls until we talk money.
So, who contains the galaxies supply of booze. Cuz one isn't complete without the other...

I think I'll put a tentative claim on Fresia
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Serious claims are probably pointless until we see an actual map and game rules.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm in. I reserved the Kuats with Deep a couple of days ago.

Unless I can be the Mandalorians! :D
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The deep reservations are provisional, i think.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

I am working as fast as time allows on a systems list. I have about 20 plus systems done of which 13 right now are playable. We should end up with 15 playable systems and about 8-10 of those being your more traditional shipbuilding type powers of which only a handful can build the very big ships. There will then be other powers that people can play but only by knowing in advance that survival will be somewhat more difficult from there.

Look here for updates.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Ok, I just finalized the list of systems that will be in the game. I am about half done creating profiles for each one. Hopefully that wraps up this weekend and we can look to pick systems on by early next week.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think I'll take Naboo (provisionally). I read up on them, and I like their culture.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Just an FYI so everyone knows.

While this game will be firmly grounded in the Star Wars universe I want to cut off a few things before we get really far down the road.

The first goal of this game is to be fun and provide an equal chance to "win" to all players who wish to compete in the great galactic power struggle.

The second goal of this game is to be manageable for both players and the GM with a reasonable time investment.

Adherence to cannon comes after these two things. Our basic guiding principles come from SW. But many things will be altered or different from what may be considered cannon for either of the above two concerns. A major difference will be the map. While it will adhere in general principal to the location of systems (core, middle, rim ect) systems are spread in such a way to balance the map and the allocation of shipyards and resources.

Also just a note on the guy who is the GM of this thing. I have read the EU. About 10-15 years ago when I was in middle school. I will have fuzzy recollections of the Thrawn series (though I re-read the last one this week for this purpose). I also read the last installment of the Black Fleet Crisis as well as the X-Wing book about the Bacta War. Once upon a time I read some awful books about Correlia and some big space-station that featured little kids and made my head hurt. I do not profess to be an expert on Star Wars cannon and I am not going to become one over the next however many months.

Take the issue of Mandalore. Apparently they are some sort of super-soldier and Boba Fett is some sort of badass. That is about all I cared to figure out regarding that issue as it is apparently a source of a lot of fighting among those really into this stuff. So if you control Mandalore what will you get in the sim? Basically you will get better infantry soliders. Quite a bit better. But that is really the only difference (this is just an example, things are not yet set in stone so there might be some other bonus that is added there) when it comes to the game. The entire essence of Mandalore and all those Boba Fett stories are encapsulated in one adjusted number on a spreadsheet in this example.

I just provide this as forewarning. I will listen to arguments about cannon. But my concerns start with gameplay and manageability. That is why no one can play the banking guild as just the banking guild. It is spread over many planets and would necessitate a robust lending and economic system to make it worth messing with. As this is not necessary for 90% of the other possible races it is eliminated as it would take a ton of work and not add a ton to things. You can play a race and then within the rules establish a lending cartel or anything you can dream up so long as we can game it out with the system in place or with minor changes to it.

When the powers list is posted a few will be listed as playable but you must talk to me first about them. Those are races that in my view can be played and are important, but will be challenging and might lead to an early exit if you face a military threat or make a mistake. I don't want anyone playing those races blindsided by that. There should be enough traditional powers that everyone can have one if they wish.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Latest update

Starting ships are done and designed.

Planets have resources allocated pending a final revision and review.

What is left is to write the rules for military movements and combat essentially, then things will open up to claims on starting planets.