General Question (All Reply Please)

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

General Question (All Reply Please)

Post by BigJKU316 »

How hard would it be for the average power to produce an Omega Weapon? I got to thinking about this with the non-proliferation treaty in Beta and the ease with which someone is apparently making Trilithium. How hard would it be to make some sort of Omega Burst weapon? Could it be put together in a pinch by a competent engineer/science team or are we talking years and years of research? I figured someone would ask me in Alpha or Staplic in Beta at some point and since there is not much information I wanted to know what others think on the issue.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: General Question (All Reply Please)

Post by stitch626 »

Well, considering no power has been able to stabilize the Omega molecule, my guess would be years of research and lots of pretty explosions.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:Well, considering no power has been able to stabilize the Omega molecule, my guess would be years of research and lots of pretty explosions.
Seems about right
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And destroying subspace around a research facility in your own space doesn't sound like a great idea.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Is it possible to research yes, is it stable... Hello-kitty to the no.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Unless we steal it from someone who stablized it 8)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, I don't really see any way that it could be weaponized. The first time you have an oops at the research facility you won't hear from it again for a few decades.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well there are two different phases here as I see it 1)Production 2) Weaponization

Production simply entails being able to create an Omega molecule. I see this as a simple process, but it will still require years of research in a dedicated facility. The problem here then becomes stabilization.

Stabilization is pretty much the same as weaponization. Once stable it can be moved and detonated. This is the SUPER tricky part. Stabilization requires trials, however if you mess up a trial that area of space just became impassable at Warp. the chance of successfully stabilizing it are slim.

Success is huge as you would be able to stop warp travel where you wanted to forever. Failure is almost certain doom as it will back fire big time and likely force everyone against you.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.