General Discussion

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: General Discussion

Post by Mark »

I have a vison of jump gates cropping up system to system for commercial traffic.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Same.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mark wrote:I have a vison of jump gates cropping up system to system for commercial traffic.
This might be a bit different since a project like that does not imply faster but really just cheaper travel. There was a project sort of like this on TNG once I think. What I am talking about is more or less things like transwarp, slipstream, stellar folding ect.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Using jump gates, depending on the design, would do two major things. One being it could cut interstellar travel between gates. Two being commerce would become FAR cheaper as most trade companies wouldn't need to build ships with expensive warp engines. Standard impluse would do just fine.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

This is more of a general question than a sim question, but I was thinking of it in Beta.

How should (or would) you deploy armored infantry?

I suppose there are two schools of thought.

1. The Panzer Division Theory- Do like the Germans did in 40-41 and basically concentrate all of these units together and deploy them for sheer mass effect against people.

2. The combat team theory- Divide them up and deploy them with regular infantry to enchance the effect of your whole force.

I am somewhat split on what makes the most sense to do (IC in the game it really is not that important after the first battle or two when your infantry gets over the pant-shitting terror of dealing with these things). I tend to lean towards the idea that infantry would eventually learn to deal with and counter these things and that you would need supporting infantry to keep them clear of the trek equivilant of a ATGM (anti-tank guided missile). These things would dominate in open spaces but you would need infantry to clear out cities to some degree, unless you just were willing to smash the thing flat with firepower.

So what say the rest of you.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The issue here is what kind of armored infantry are you talking about? Is it my Astartes styled armor or Mecha or infanty+tanks?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Deepcrush wrote:The issue here is what kind of armored infantry are you talking about? Is it my Astartes styled armor or Mecha or infanty+tanks?
I am thinking more the Iron-Man/Astarte scale stuff. Makes a guy look bigger, but not some sort of Mecha unit where he is 20 or 30 feet tall. Clearly with the big big stuff you would need some sort of smaller force.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In the case of the smaller, they can act for the most part just as normal infantry do. The difference is more of how they're designed and how they're used. Both are able to take and hold ground, just in a superior manner to normal infantry. Next would be the issue of defeating them with normal infantry though we'll talk that over in private... I don't want to give away anything yet... lol

The two models that you brought up have their own basic ideals. The Ironman being a lighter armed/armored but highly mobile version. The Astartes being a heavier armed/armored less mobile version. The first being suited to more of a battle field dance, recon and multi-directional strike. The second being a sledgehammer you just beat your enemy in the face with.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Another general question: In the "real world" is there any particular standard or near-standard ratio for Battleships/Battlecruisers/Cruisers/Frigates/Destroyers/etc? I.E. 5-10-15-20 etc?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:Using jump gates, depending on the design, would do two major things. One being it could cut interstellar travel between gates. Two being commerce would become FAR cheaper as most trade companies wouldn't need to build ships with expensive warp engines. Standard impluse would do just fine.
Reducing AM being spent on freighters, bypassing tariffs, and allowing a greater control (ie if it comes through the jump gate its authorized, which means pretty much anything coming across the boarder under warp is likely up to no good)

In either Alpha OR Beta.....would this be a reasonably popular thing to devolop as an intergalactic joint project?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd be down to contribute. It's a great idea.

I wonder if ship design would factor into something like that? Probably education would be more important, I guess.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'd imagine so....after all, you'd have to design ships with all new propulsion systems, so the standard configurations wouldn't be a restriction anymore.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:I'd imagine so....after all, you'd have to design ships with all new propulsion systems, so the standard configurations wouldn't be a restriction anymore.
If you're using jumpgates then it wouldn't matter what kind of engines you have since the gate would be powering the flight.
Sonic Glitch wrote:Another general question: In the "real world" is there any particular standard or near-standard ratio for Battleships/Battlecruisers/Cruisers/Frigates/Destroyers/etc? I.E. 5-10-15-20 etc?
More like Destroyers being short ranged ships devoted to battle only. Cruisers built for longer range travel and mixed operations. Battlecruisers being Cruisers built only for war. and Battleships being just battleships. Though I'm not sure if we still have a size requirement for everyone, i think it changes from race to race.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

In Beta, the Ferengi would certainly approve of supporting jump gates fro freighters. That would cut our antimatter use by 90%. :lol:

However, I could see these gates being prime military targets... ones whose locations are known to everyone.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

stitch626 wrote:In Beta, the Ferengi would certainly approve of supporting jump gates fro freighters. That would cut our antimatter use by 90%. :lol:

However, I could see these gates being prime military targets... ones whose locations are known to everyone.
Well to be fair, trade ships are already military targets.