Star Trek Sim, Signup

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Star Trek Sim, Signup

Post by BigJKU316 »

Ok, I am comfortable that I will have together the material I need for the players and myself by early next week so I think we can start setting up players/teams at this point. I will give a brief synopsis of each playable power as they will exist in the simulation. If multiple people want the same role I suggest talking it out, otherwise I will flip a coin.

Federation- The Federation is probably the strongest power in the area. It has a large and diverse fleet (though little to no standing army) and due to its large population has an impressive industrial base. However you have limitations. The Federation Council can and will restrict the freedom of the executive branch. Large portions of the fleet are assigned to deep exploration missions which goes a long way to even the odds. Additionally you are surrounded by other powers. This will be in some respects the most difficult and the simplest power to play. From a game management standpoint the Federation has by far the most ship classes to manage (though this is 95% automated for you). Beyond that you have a tricky diplomatic balancing act. The Alliance with the Klingons has kept the AQ stable for many years but the Klingon player has near total freedom of action and has their own pressures. The alliance broke once prior to the Dominion War, if it breaks again it may be bloody settling the power balance all over again.

Romulan Star Empire- An Empire built around lies, more lies and damned lies. To put it honestly things suck for you. You are surrounded by the Klingons and Federation for the most part. Against the Klingons alone you would stand a fighting chance. Against both you have no hope. Can you fracture their Alliance? Can you find new Allies in the Breen or Cardassians that can redress the balance of power in your favor? Diplomacy and duplicity will be key to being a successful leader of the RSE.

Klingons- Who wants to blow things up? This is the job for you. Any good Klingon player wants to fight. A great Klingon player will probably try to fight with anyone. After all you are not hiding behind the skirt of your Federation mommy are you? In all honesty though that will be the major interal issue to deal with for the Klingons. What do a people who base most of their life around battle and honor do now that the great war is over? Peace is hard for the Klingons. You are the leader of the Empire but challenges await with every Great House. Young Klingons wanting to prove themselves in battle strain against the peace. Whatever happens to this player it will certainly be interesting, and likely bloody.

Cardassians- There is having a tough life and there is leading the Cardassian Union during this time. Frankly, everything sucks. Just a few years after the Dominion War things are just getting back to a break-even. The occupation is just winding down. Two major features will impact your early game. One, you don't produce enough on your own to do much more than survive. Two, you have to choose a path for your transitional government. Do you take the long road to a Democratic Republic like the Federation, the quick fix of military dicatorship or something in between. You need help to make ends meet while you get there so diplomacy will be crucial from day one. Play your cards right and other powers will be competing to see who can bring you along in their image. Play them wrong and your people might starve.

When we fill these 4 I will open up some other spots. Try to go for something that fits your temperment. If you want to just bash skulls don't play as the Federation, you will just get frustrated.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek Sim, Signup

Post by stitch626 »

Put me in last. I'll play as anyone except the Klingons, so I can easilly be put in where ever.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I want to be a Romulan... I think that's my temperament.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cardies for me, I think.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lt. Staplic told me he would like to play the Federation.

So at the moment we are still looking for a Klingon player. Then we can open up the Ferengi and Breen.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, well, if no one else wants to play as Klingons, I guess I could. They're just a last choice thing.

At least I'd get to blow things up... :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I guess I'll take the Breen when they become available. I always liked them anyways. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Ok, looks like we have a good list. The only thing missing is a Ferengi player so if anyone knows someone let them know about it.

If someone really does not want the Ferengi I could be pursuaded to start up the Tholians though we will need to all decide just where they stand vis a via the other powers.

I anticipate getting setup sheets and reports out this weekend/early next week. I just posted the setup rules. They look long but are really more of an explaination of what goes on behind the sceens. Your parts are pretty simple.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oooo, I kinda want to do Ferengi... If someone else wants to do Romulan I will take Ferengi, as that is like me to a tee.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Nickswitz wrote:Oooo, I kinda want to do Ferengi... If someone else wants to do Romulan I will take Ferengi, as that is like me to a tee.
We could move Stitch to the Romulans if someone will take the Klingons since they were his last choice. I have asked the Tsukiyumi if he is willing to do that. We need a Klingon player long before we need a Breen player as they can always come into the game later if we don't have someone now.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And I accept. :)

Question: what spreadsheet program will we need for this? I've got Excel around here somewhere.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:And I accept. :)

Question: what spreadsheet program will we need for this? I've got Excel around here somewhere.
Excel will do it. Don't even need a recent version.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

This looks cool... :shock:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

You are quite welcome. I figure we can take the weekend to sort out final placements. If you have a preference feel free to talk it out with people in this thread. Otherwise you can team up with someone or we can bring the Breen or Tholians into the game.

I am out most of Saturday, but we can finalize who goes where Sunday hopefully.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its a shame the KE isn't open anymore. They were the first ones I wanted. If Tsu doesn't want to part with them, then I'll take the Breen.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu