Any interest in a large scale Trek sim?

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Any interest in a large scale Trek sim?

Post by BigJKU316 »

One of the things I did back in my college days was intern with a group that ran large scale wargames/political simulations for the Pentagon. I am curious if anyone would have interest in doing that with the star trek universe. Essentially we are talking about a play by email type situation that is very much driven by the use of an excel spreadsheet I would adapt and revise from other era games I have run/participated in.

Essentially each player or group of players is handed the keys to a major empire at the time we choose and basically within the limits of their respective empire told to make what they can of it (ie if you are the Fed President and order Starfleet to use trilithum torpedoes to destroy the Breen without provocation the council would likely revoke that order). For some of the larger powers it would probably make sense to divide the duties.

The game is not so much combat oriented as it is about alliances, trade and ship construction. Simple time constraints will limit battles to basically a tallying of fleet strength avaliable in that sector and a few dice rolls based on whatever brilliant orders you might have come up with that could modify things a bit in either direction.

My inclination would be to start at the data for which ship data for this website is considered from in Trek, have an accellerated buildout period (10 game years or so) where players basically work on their economy and fleets to put some differentiation into the simulation from what we have already seen in Trek to let each player sort of put their stamp on things.

Essentially you would control the economy and trade, ship design and building, fleet deployments and diplomacy. For the sake of simplicity there would be no colonization as doing it right would necessitate a whole set of its own rules and expenses that just won't add much unless the game goes on for 100 years.

Off the top of my head we would at a bare minimum need a player for the Federation, Klingons, Romulans and Breen. Having a Cardassian and Ferengi player would really add a lot to it I think as well. I am open to adding the Tholians and Gorn but we would all have to agree on just where they stand vs the other powers since cannon info is a bit fuzzy there. Adding other powers, including the Dominion I suppose, is always possible but I would prefer to fill the other roles first.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Any interest in a large scale Trek sim?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sounds interesting. Would this be possible to play on the forum, or would it have to be via e-mail?

EDIT: YAY! Evil post count! :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sounds interesting. Would this be possible to play on the forum, or would it have to be via e-mail?

EDIT: YAY! Evil post count! :lol:
Forum works for everything but orders. Generally the format I am comfortable with has two reports each turn. A general, newslike update for everyone that is sort of a galactic news service and then player specific reports on stuff others do not need.

Diplomacy and what not can be conducted on the forum if it is public consumption type stuff as well. Forums are good places to make threats.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Orders and such could be handled via PM, yes? It's sort of our built-in email system. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Orders and such could be handled via PM, yes? It's sort of our built-in email system. :)
Probably everything but the spreadsheets, unless you can send an attachment through here. But one can set up a file warehouse for that as well.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ah. I see. I'm no good with spreadsheets, I'm afraid. :doh:
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ah. I see. I'm no good with spreadsheets, I'm afraid. :doh:
It is actually quite easy. 95% is already done for you.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm intrigued, but I'm concerned about time constraints forcing me to hold things up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Other than time, this could prove interesting.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:I'm intrigued, but I'm concerned about time constraints forcing me to hold things up.
Generally I would advise you either try a team or smaller power. Really, it takes as much or as little time as you want depending on just how much diplomatic/military stuff is going on. Needless to say the Federation player will likely be busier than say someone playing the insular Breen.

My estimate of the time involved after you do your initial setup is less than 20-30 minutes a week at most to do the bare minimum. Now you could invest more if you are doing a lot of stuff with other players (or are just one of those people who feel compelled to name every ship in your fleet just because you are that into it), but overall it is designed to be as easy as possible to do.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

(or are just one of those people who feel compelled to name every ship in your fleet just because you are that into it)
That would be me... :oops:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

stitch626 wrote:
(or are just one of those people who feel compelled to name every ship in your fleet just because you are that into it)
That would be me... :oops:
Me too. Somewhere in my various HD's I have a fully named and organized US fleet, with 1st and 2nd officers of each, built in a 10 year simulation for the post WWI period. That was a few hundred ships. Since Starfleet is like 6 or 7,000 ships I am not sure where to even start. Plus it takes a ton of effort to do the names right (ie look up things from cultures other than Earth) after which to name ships.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

i'd be interested
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:i'd be interested
Well, it sounds like there are a few interested, if you know more on this site or elsewhere let them know and we can start placing some teams and discussing a few of the setup conditions. I have Monday off so I will post a synopsis of the setup and turn system for everyone.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think I may be interested as well.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang