Fix the Imperium of Man

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Fix the Imperium of Man

Post by Mikey »

To me, that situation is the difference between positive cooperation on one hand, and muddling of roles and poor definition of bounds of authority on the other. While the Inquisition has its own forces to prosecute its business - Grey Knights, Deathwatch, and Sisters of Battle, not to mention Inquisitorial stormtroopers - they should be able to ask for assistance in operations of a scale which is beyond their means. They shouldn't be able to use a chapter of Astartes as asingle inquisitor's lackeys and bounty hunters. Any assistance a chapter gives the Inquisition should rightly be regarded as an expression of goodwill by the SM, not as required by the Inquisition's status.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Very well spoken.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

The first thing to do is to unify the armed forces. Then get the inquisition to realise that they aren't everything and have them supporting the military, not the other way round. Also, sort out the damned records! Get them making technological advances.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:The first thing to do is to unify the armed forces. Then get the inquisition to realise that they aren't everything and have them supporting the military, not the other way round. Also, sort out the damned records! Get them making technological advances.
There has to be a change in thinking before that can be done, much as I agree. The division of the Army into the guard, the navy, and the PDF's was done as a reaction the same as the splitting of the Legions into chapters - because of wholesale defections during the HH. You'd have to convince everyone that such a thing couldn't happen again before you can reunite the armed forces.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Due to the constant threat of Chaos, it would be impossible to removes such a problem.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Due to the constant threat of Chaos, it would be impossible to removes such a problem.
Unfortunately, you're absolutely correct. You can't dismiss the ideas of heresy and defection to Chaos as paranoia if those things really do happen.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Unifying the armed forces of the IoM won't really solve any problems. Rather it would create the constant threat of wholesale defections. Rather, the IoM needs to streamline its resources on a smaller scale. Thus rather then needing millions or billions of fodder, the same missions can be completed using thousands or hundreds of thousands of elite troops. Fewer troops means fewer risks of defection and easier to maintain.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. The only reason that doesn't happen more often is that you can only raise stormies, etc., from Schola Progenium grads, via intensive Inquisitorial conditioning, or from special locations (Krieg, Cadia, etc.) You can get typical meatgrinder fuel from any and every Imperial world.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The key would be to build several "Troop training" worlds and ship tithed recruits to them. It would also make supplying the troops with their new equipment far easier.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The problem seems to be a reciprocating cycle of supply and demand. Too many Imperial Guard die, so they get cheap fodder to replace. If the IoM were to begin wholesale training up far fewer but much more advanced troops, could the losses be sustained in the interim period between these advanced troops beginning training and being ready for active duty?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd have to say "yes," so long as it wasn't an abrupt switch. The IoM produces such staggering amounts of manpower that the IG could continue operating exactly as it does while such a new and improved Guard was being assembled. Consider: psykers are, say, less than 1% of the total population. 1,000 die at the feet of the Golden Throne daily. Yet the choir of the Astronomican is always replenished, there is no shortage of astropaths anywhere, and there's still plenty left over to become full units of battle psykers, Inquisitorial staff, and all the rogue psykers/witches that are about all the time.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I wouldn't just say yes as Mikey does but I'll add in "easily". As Mikey pointed out, the IG is massive. We know that while most of the IG is built as fodder, there are a large number of Regiments that have proper training in one field or another. The problem isn't manpower but effort for the IoM. A simple solution for the start would be for newly tithed regiments to be delayed a single year while they are trained and equipped.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

The Imperium is collosal. They were on the brink of conquering the whole galaxy. With that many worlds, I'm gonna say yes.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deep makes another good point - there are IG regiments that prove that you can be IG without being a waste of lasgun charge packs. Cadians, Harakoni, Death Korps of Krieg, Tallarn Desert Raiders, Elysians, Catachans... all of these show vastly improved ability over the typical image of the "find them, give them flashlights, send 'em out" IG. Many of these elite groups further include stormtroopers (or Kasrkin, or grenadiers, or whatever) over and above their own typical troopers. Hell, Scout Trooper MkVenner once killed two daemons with a bayonet. So, not only is possible to raise troops to that level - it's being done.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Vatrians (spelling) in fact are a great example have Lasgun similar to Hellguns, for everyone is their regiments.

Next issue, since the IG have pretty much been covered to death, is the IN.