Ultramarines: The Movie

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ultramarines: The Movie

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good news, everyone! The screenplay is to be written by Dan Abnett!
Codex Pictures revealed today the director and screenwriter for the forthcoming Warhammer 40,000 movie ULTRAMARINES.

The director is Martyn Pick, whose credits include the 2009 film The Age of Stupid, on which he was animation director; London 2012, the promotional film commissioned by Film London and the London Development Agency which was premiered at the Beijing Olympics; the 2001 US Budweiser NBA commercial; and the celebrated BBC promotional trailers for the Euro 2004 soccer tournament. Martyn was chosen to direct Ultramarines for his renowned and highly distinctive ability to fuse live action and animation and the fluid, rich painterly style of his film-making.

The screenplay has been written by someone who needs no introduction to Warhammer 40,000 fans - best-selling author Dan Abnett. Dan has penned more than 25 books for Games Workshop's Black Library, with total sales in excess of 1.2 million copies. He also works regularly for 2000 AD, Marvel Comics and DC Comics and has recently seen publication of the first of three novels for HarperCollins' new sci-fi, fantasy and horror imprint, Angry Robot.

ULTRAMARINES, a sci-fi thriller employing CGI and state-of-the-art production techniques, is being produced by Codex Pictures in association with Good Story Productions Ltd. The Canadian co-producer is POP6 Studios.

Keep up with news of the film at http://ultramarinesthemovie.com
Source

My expectations just went up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Big time.

Now they just need to announce a Ciaphas Cain movie.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:angel1:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Thank the Emperor for small favours. I was afraid that it would be tainted by McNeil.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Thank the Emperor for small favours. I was afraid that it would be tainted by McNeil.
"Tained?" He is the UM resource over there. I'd be really scared if the name "Goto" was mentioned. But I'll agree in general, that the addition of Abnett to this project is excellent news. Maybe if this goes well commercially, he could be convinced to adapt Gaunt's Ghosts.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'm not really sold on his take on the UM's. But I find them bland to begin with.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They're supposed to be bland. They're the standard Space Marines.

Still, if Goto had gotten it you can be sure the multilazors would have flown fast and furious.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I rather like multilasers but regardless his writing sucks. The Blood Ravens omnibus reads like the author just played the DoW game and had no prior exposure to the universe.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I love them. Given the choice between a man portable lascannon and a multilaser in DH I take the ML all the time. Goto blows though.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Ultramarines may be the most bland group in all of 40K, but I've got faith that Abnett can make them interesting. This is the guy that basically redefined the Imperial Guard, after all. He may very well be able to do something similar with the Ultramarines.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea doing an SM movie. Having it focused on the Imperial Guard would make more sense, and be far more interesting, IMO.
Mikey wrote:Maybe if this goes well commercially, he could be convinced to adapt Gaunt's Ghosts.
A movie version of Gaunt's Ghosts? That would be incredible if done well. Imagine seeing the Siege of Vervunhive on the big screen.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I rather like multilasers but regardless his writing sucks. The Blood Ravens omnibus reads like the author just played the DoW game and had no prior exposure to the universe.
After reading the first two Deathwatch novels, I wouldn't even look at Goto's DoW books.
Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm not really sold on his take on the UM's. But I find them bland to begin with.
Who, McNeill's? You may not like his take, but the UM series of books is his baby.
Sionnach Glic wrote:A movie version of Gaunt's Ghosts? That would be incredible if done well. Imagine seeing the Siege of Vervunhive on the big screen.
Could you imagine? :drool1:

Given the right FX budget, I was imagining Operation Larisel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Wow, they aren't going out and reinterpreting this are they? Most of that concept art looks exactly like what GW designs, just more shiney.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

On of the VA's mentions that it is being made for the fans that have supported it for the last 20 years. So hopefully (prays to the Dark Gods) we'll get something very close to the fluff.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I just hope they have the stones to make it every bit as grimdark as it should be.