Ultramarines: The Movie

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ultramarines: The Movie

Post by Aaron »

[url=http://www.codexpictures.com/news.html] wrote:Codex Pictures[/url]For the first time, Games Workshop's globally renowned Warhammer 40,000 universe is to be realised in a feature-length movie on DVD.

Ultramarines is a 70-minute sci-fi thriller that will use CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques. Games Workshop is delighted to be working with UK-based production company Codex Pictures, who have the momentous task of bringing the Warhammer 40,000 universe to the screen.

Commenting on the news, Erik Mogensen, Licensing and Acquired Rights Manager for Games Workshop, said, "Over the years, we have been approached again and again by all sorts of producers and film companies wanting to take our intellectual property to the screen. We have always believed that, in the right hands, the stories, themes and characters from the Warhammer 40,000 universe would lend themselves perfectly to the movie genre. We're working closely with the talented team at Codex Pictures, who have an excellent understanding of the Warhammer 40,000 intellectual property and an inspired vision for the movie. We can't wait to see our universe come to life on-screen."

"We're hugely honoured to be making Ultramarines," said a spokesman for Codex Pictures. "It's taken a lot of research and development to get to this stage - and it's such an exciting challenge to be able to bring the depth and power of the Warhammer 40,000 universe to a brand new medium."

News of the production of a movie was unveiled at UK Games Day, the biggest event in the Games Workshop calendar, on Sunday, September 27 2009.
OK I'm not a big fan of the smurf marines but this could be seriously cool if done properly. And it's going to be animated, which allows for a little more freedom in how things are done.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Ultramarines: The Movie

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cool. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My problem with the Ultramarines is that they are the biggest hypocrisy of the Adeptus Astartes. Outside of that, their victories against the Orks, Tau and Tyranids are very impressive and worthy of note.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

How so? I don't think I've heard this bit before.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The First Armaggedon War, two First Companies showed up (means they are covering their numbers of Terminators). In the war against the Tau, Imperial Battleships with UM colors and markings were taking part (the Space Marines aren't supposed to have Navel assets equal to that of the Imperial Navy). After the Tyranid Wars, the entire chapter or at least their Macragge based companies were returned to full strength within 50 years including the whole first company which was lost to the man).
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

First thing I noticed, a 70 minute film. I would just like to point out to everyone for it to be called a featured film it must be 67 minutes long. Kind of cutting it close aren't they?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I find it odd that they have already got the running time nailed down. Then again being GW the odds are the director won't be directing so much as a puppet with GW's hand up his ass so his chances to be creative will be limited.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:the Space Marines aren't supposed to have Navel assets equal to that of the Imperial Navy
Really? A Battle-barge is more than a match for any IN battleship, likewise a Gladius-class frigate outmatches a Sword-class, and a strike cruiser outpaces anything in the IN less than battlecruiser status. The main difference (and point of contention) is when Astartes chapters field dedicated s-to-s combat vessels.
Deepcrush wrote:companies were returned to full strength within 50 years including the whole first company which was lost to the man
I agree with this completely. Very suspect. The Crimson Fists are still down to half-strength after how long?

All in all, though, I'm very interested. While Tyyr is dead-on about the iron fist of GW controlling everything, it also means that you won't have any disparities with existing fluff canon. Also, there's nothing that could be less than cool about a CGI Marines v. 'Nids battle (if they go that route.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

This could either be very awesome, or very disapointing.

For now, I'm going to be optimistic and expect nothing but sheer greatness. This just better have an 18 rating due to violent content.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:This could either be very awesome, or very disapointing.

For now, I'm going to be optimistic and expect nothing but sheer greatness. This just better have an 18 rating due to violent content.
Agreed. If this is made with the intention of marketing to a PG-13 rating, it'll bring whole new levels of meaning to the term "suck."
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Really? A Battle-barge is more than a match for any IN battleship, likewise a Gladius-class frigate outmatches a Sword-class, and a strike cruiser outpaces anything in the IN less than battlecruiser status. The main difference (and point of contention) is when Astartes chapters field dedicated s-to-s combat vessels.
That is the problem with the UM. They not only field dedicated S-S vessels but in fact field several sector fleets worth of them.
Mikey wrote:I agree with this completely. Very suspect. The Crimson Fists are still down to half-strength after how long?
It took the CF's some one hundred years to replace their numbers. They came no where near replacing their losses of Elite members. The UM claimed a fully rebuilt 1st Company in less then fifty years. That included the replacement of their Terminator Armor. What also kicks up is that in the face of these losses, the UM maintained their quota on Geneseed supply for the Imperium.
Mikey wrote:All in all, though, I'm very interested. While Tyyr is dead-on about the iron fist of GW controlling everything, it also means that you won't have any disparities with existing fluff canon. Also, there's nothing that could be less than cool about a CGI Marines v. 'Nids battle (if they go that route.)
Something like a Space Hulk movie would be great!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:It took the CF's some one hundred years to replace their numbers. They came no where near replacing their losses of Elite members.
I thought the CF's are still down to only 500 Marines or so.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd take issue with the claim that a Battle Barge is equal to an Imperial Navy battleship. Where do you get that from?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

TBH, I've never played BF:G or anything like that - in fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually played 40k tabletop - so I base most of my info on fluff/canon and extrapolation from same. However, considering the armament, shielding, etc. of a battle barge, plus the consistently increased quality and capability of Astartes equipment over IG/IN equivalents (witness the enhanced capabilities of a strike cruiser over a Lunar-class, for example) it seems a reasonable conclusion. Include the fact that a battle barge includes one of the deadliest weapons of the Imperium - a company or more of Space Marines.
as Bull offed Custer