Boaty McBoatface makes major climate change discovery

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Boaty McBoatface makes major climate change discovery

Post by Nutso »

Boaty McBoatface makes major climate change discovery on maiden outing
Boaty McBoatface’s maiden outing has made a major discovery about how climate change is causing rising sea levels.

Scientists say that data collected from the yellow submarines's first expedition will help them build more accurate predictions in order to combat the problem.

The mission has uncovered a key process linking increasing Antarctic winds to higher sea temperatures, which in turn is fuelling increasing levels.

Researchers found that the increasing winds are cooling water on the bottom of the ocean, forcing it to travel faster, creating turbulance as it mixed with warmer waters above.

Experts said the mechanism has not been factored into current models for predicting the impact of increasing global temperatures on our oceans, meaning forecasts should be altered.
Some positive news! We all love Boaty McBoatface!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Boaty McBoatface makes major climate change discovery

Post by Vic »

:? Wait :| .........How are winds (above the surface of the ocean) influencing water at the bottom of the ocean? I can see wind influencing surface waters, but the bottom layers? Does not compute. Or, how am I misreading the article?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Vic wrote::? Wait :| .........How are winds (above the surface of the ocean) influencing water at the bottom of the ocean? I can see wind influencing surface waters, but the bottom layers? Does not compute. Or, how am I misreading the article?
Ekman transport.

And yay... go Boaty!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Thank god for you, Graham. I really, really didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of learning a new science!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park