Brand New, Self-Cloning Crayfish

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Brand New, Self-Cloning Crayfish

Post by Nutso »

Massive crayfish that didn't exist 25 years ago are capable of cloning themselves — and it's terrifying scientists

http://www.businessinsider.com/marbled- ... ves-2018-2

A crayfish capable of cloning itself is taking over European countries — and the European Union has banned its transport, production, and release, reports The New York Times.
The female-only population didn't exist 25 years ago but now numbers in the millions.
Scientists have discovered a mutation that allows the female crayfish to reproduce without a partner.
A crayfish that is capable of cloning itself is taking over Europe — and scientists are taking note.

The marbled crayfish has a mutation that allows it to clone itself, reports Carl Zimmer at The New York Times. Zimmer profiled scientists studying the all-female species known for its massive size, which "simply did not exist" 25 years ago.

The crayfish first became popular with aquarium owners because of their size and ability to lay copious amounts of eggs.

"As marmorkrebs became more popular, owners grew increasingly puzzled. The crayfish seemed to be laying eggs without mating," Zimmer writes.

Scientists soon discovered the genomic mutation, which has allowed the species to number in the millions. Zimmer does a great job of explaining how that works.

While the crayfish have never been seen in the wild in America, they are popular among hobbyists. They're banned in Missouri and Tennessee. The European Union also banned the species from being produced, distributed, or released in the wild.

Madagascar, where the crayfish are thriving, has become concerned about the size of the population. "There are a lot of clear advantages to being a clone," Zimmer writes. "Marbled crayfish produce nothing but fertile offspring, allowing their populations to explode."

It's unclear how long the population will be able to thrive.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Brand New, Self-Cloning Crayfish

Post by Mikey »

Meh. Just send ‘me all to New Orleans, problem solved.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Meh. Just send ‘me all to New Orleans, problem solved.
Send some up this way, too.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

And don't forget the butter. Love me some crawdads!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Cheaper gumbo? I'm down.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:Cheaper gumbo? I'm down.
Do they put them in gumbo? I’ve had gumbo with pork, shrimp, chicken, andouille, and just “straight up” with lots of okra, but never with crawfish.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Cheaper gumbo? I'm down.
Do they put them in gumbo? I’ve had gumbo with pork, shrimp, chicken, andouille, and just “straight up” with lots of okra, but never with crawfish.
To be fair, only have had one place where they do... but damn it was good gumbo.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?