Liquid Water Exists on Mars

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Liquid Water Exists on Mars

Post by Nutso »

boosting hopes for life there, NASA says

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/28/us/mars-n ... ouncement/
(CNN)Potentially life-giving water still flows across the ancient surface of Mars from time to time, NASA scientists said Monday in revealing a potential breakthrough in both the search for life beyond Earth and human hopes to one day travel there.

While the discovery doesn't by itself offer evidence of life on Mars, either past or present, it does boost hopes of that the harsh landscape still offers some refuge to life.

"The existence of liquid water, even if it is super salty briny water, gives the possibility that if there's life on Mars, that we have a way to describe how it might survive," said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at NASA.

NASA researchers using an imager aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter confirmed the watery flows by looking at light waves returned from seasonal dark streaks on the surface, long suspected to be associated with liquid water.

The investigation showed the streaks absorb light at specific wavelengths associated with chemicals known to pull water from the Martian atmosphere in a process known as deliquescence, said Georgia Tech doctoral student Lujendra Ojha -- who first discovered the streaks while still an undergraduate student in 2011.

One of those chemicals, called perchlorate, is crucial to allowing the water to stay in liquid form. Without it, it would likely boil off in the thin atmosphere of Mars, the researchers said.

It remains unclear where the water comes from. Theories include deliquescence, melting subsurface ice or even a liquid-water aquifer that feeds the process. Discovering what precisely is causing the phenomenon is a mystery for the next round of investigations, said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program.

The researchers findings are contained in a new paper being presented this week at the European Planetary Science Congress in France.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Liquid Water Exists on Mars

Post by Teaos »

Nice discovery. But NASA over played their hand. It's not that interesting. You make that big of a build up you better have aliens or something equally cool.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Nice discovery. But NASA over played their hand. It's not that interesting. You make that big of a build up you better have aliens or something equally cool.
Or when it actually happened, not when Ridley Scott wants you to release it in order to coincide with his new Mars movie.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, don't drink the water there, at least.