Shouldn't Automation Usher in Utopia?

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shouldn't Automation Usher in Utopia?

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
Teaos wrote:Unless there is a law that says they must use labor.
That was the point. If you have mass automation in everything you are going to have a severe problem with unemployment. Unemployment causes a cascade effect that causes people to not buy the products. The machines can't make the product because no one buys it. The company can't buy the robots because they can't afford to buy them. And so forth.

So it might be in their best interest to use physical labor so that these workers to buy the stuff.
No, they will just expect other people to employ their buyers.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well yeah. Who cares as long as they buy your shit right?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep, that. Corporations in a capitalist economy will sing the praises of a workforce well-paid enough to have disposable income... until it comes time for those corporations to cut into their margin in order to make that workforce a reality. Don't get me wrong, I believe in capitalism (yet perhaps not laissez-faire, but that's a different discussion,) but I'll call a spade a spade.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Well yeah. Who cares as long as they buy your shit right?
Yes, that's the system. I believe Russia and China tried a different system for a while, we're still waiting for the celebrations for the end of the successful test phase. :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Well yeah. Who cares as long as they buy your shit right?
Yes, that's the system. I believe Russia and China tried a different system for a while, we're still waiting for the celebrations for the end of the successful test phase. :happydevil:
True. I guess if it is serious then the government might do it.

Might make for a half decent B movie. How robots take over jobs and everyone but the rich are homeless. Robots do everything for the rich and nothing for the poor.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"