Stealth in Space?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Stealth in Space?

Post by LaughingCheese »

So, I got that that's not possible in reality, but actual stealth is about minimizing detectable signatures, not being completely invisible no?

That said, what if you wrap your ship/station in a plausible visible light cloak like the metamaterial stuff in development, and park it in near orbit to a star to drown out the thermals?

Now it can't be seen by visual or thermal scanners, presumably.

Is that a plausible method of stealth in space?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stealth in Space?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Being between the searching vessel and the sun is always going to be a good tactic. Especially if the sun if pretty close behind.

Your biggest problem would be if you wanted to do more than just sit there. Fire a rocket, you're likely gonna be seen no matter what.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Putting the sun at your back when facing an opponent isn't just a stealth-in-space tactic, it's been a useful combat trick since the beginning of ever.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mikey wrote:Putting the sun at your back when facing an opponent isn't just a stealth-in-space tactic, it's been a useful combat trick since the beginning of ever.
I forgot fighter planes did this as well, good point.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The scenario in the OP is that the intruder has deep space capability, while the local cannot launch any satellites that are capable of reaching the Trojan points (so the intruder can be seen at an angle).

That implies that the intruder has better tech/space capability than the local, at least in that system. If it is a case of two sides in a single star system, it means that the local doesn't have enough spacewatch capability to monitor the far side of the sun for anyone sneaking in, and no near side spacewatch capability of launching a satellite to do nothing but scan between the planet and the sun for anything 'weird' or different.

Whoever is in that position has already effectively won the space race in that system, and if they just want to sit there gathering information, that is their choice.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)