Witness the firepower of this armed and operational...

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Witness the firepower of this armed and operational...

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Really? How else would you interpret that statement in the absence of running the numbers to realise that the required dwell time is far too long for an operational system? Even if you're being charitable, the tone of the article is that the next step is to go from prototype to operational model, rather than scaling up the proof of concept rig to something that can get the job done in a reasonable time (which I'd guesstimate as at 100+ kW). This is certainly an important step forward, but no more than that, and certainly not enough of one to say that anti-vehicle lasers are "here".
How else would I interpret it? As an interest-building tagline which only propagates the meat of the story, which is as I said an authorial technique taught at least as early as fourth grade here. I guess I got it right, because not once during my reading of any article relating to this story did I think, "Oh, hey, this must be almost ready for production!"

EDIT: OK, I see what the problem is here. Sorry, my choice of title for the thread was just a pithy joke relating to Peter Cushing's line about the status of the Deat Star in Star Wars: A New Hope, rather than a statement of fact about the status of Lockheed's design. I didn't mean to state that the Lockheed model was ready for operational deployment, I just thought that with the Sci-Fi bent of most of our members here, the joke would have been more obvious.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:How else would I interpret it? As an interest-building tagline which only propagates the meat of the story, which is as I said an authorial technique taught at least as early as fourth grade here.
Taglines generally come at the start of an article, not the end - if that statement had been at the start I would indeed have dismissed it as hyperbole. The fact that it comes at the end means that it serves as a conclusion, and therefore means that the author either a) doesn't know what they're talking about or b) is deliberately trying to mislead their readership. If they wanted to have an attention-grabbing one-liner that bears some relation to the facts "laser weapons just got a big step closer" would have been far more appropriate".
I guess I got it right, because not once during my reading of any article relating to this story did I think, "Oh, hey, this must be almost ready for production!"
That's probably because you've got enough background knowledge of the subject to read between the lines. The wording of both the article and the conclusion is structured to lead those without such knowledge to the conclusion that this is close to being a deployable system.
EDIT: OK, I see what the problem is here. Sorry, my choice of title for the thread was just a pithy joke relating to Peter Cushing's line about the status of the Deat Star in Star Wars: A New Hope, rather than a statement of fact about the status of Lockheed's design. I didn't mean to state that the Lockheed model was ready for operational deployment, I just thought that with the Sci-Fi bent of most of our members here, the joke would have been more obvious.
My issue isn't with your title, my issue is with the way you're defending shitty writing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Seems that your issue is with your ability to understand the written word.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Seems like a good point to grab popcorn...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Speaking of shots fired...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

sunnyside wrote:Speaking of shots fired...
Hmm... The pun is borderline Internet win worthy.

Judges?
Last edited by McAvoy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:
sunnyside wrote:Speaking of shots fired...
Hmm... The pun is borderline interest win worthy.

Judges?
*Confers* I say... yes. It IS worthy.