Hendo Hoverboard??

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hendo Hoverboard??

Post by LaughingCheese »

Um, what?

I'd like to believe but, this could so easily be a scam, like the "E-Cat" BS that iS STILL going on. Ugh.
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Hend Hoverboard??

Post by Mikey »

I find it hard to believe that a new motive technology like this could be developed without the Pentagon's mitts all over it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Seems like it's just a magnetised board floating over a metal surface. If so it's an impressive bit of tech, but it's nothing especially innovative.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Seems like it's just a magnetised board floating over a metal surface. If so it's an impressive bit of tech, but it's nothing especially innovative.
That's what it seemed to me as well, though I really can't know enough about it to gainsay the inventors. If it is what it seems, then the real world applicabability is just about nil.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Hendo Hoverboard??

Post by McAvoy »

Having something floating above something because of magnetism is old tech.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually, I could be wrong but I'd say the most impressive thing about it is that they managed to have a battery with enough juice to run the electromagnets in the thing and support a grown person's weight. I'd love to know what voltage/current the thing runs on, and how long a battery lasts.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Actually, I could be wrong but I'd say the most impressive thing about it is that they managed to have a battery with enough juice to run the electromagnets in the thing and support a grown person's weight. I'd love to know what voltage/current the thing runs on, and how long a battery lasts.
Agreed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A critique of the board.

Yes, it's magnets - apparently spinning magnets in the board itself. Battery life is "a couple of minutes".

And despite the hype that "this is a prototype", leading towards a hoverboard you can use anywhere, or "levitate buildings" - in reality the board's batteries last "a couple of minutes", it weighs almost 80 kg, there is no prospect whatsoever that it will ever be able to be used outside of specially constructed metal surfaces, and levitating buildings with this technology is an absurd notion.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

What the hell would you do with a levitating building anyway, besides not be able to get in?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:What the hell would you do with a levitating building anyway,
Well believe it or not the people hawking this talk about it as as solution to rising sea levels and flooding.
besides not be able to get in?
You get in on your hoverboard, of course!
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:What the hell would you do with a levitating building anyway,
Well believe it or not the people hawking this talk about it as as solution to rising sea levels and flooding.
They don't work on water. Unless you got power.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Well believe it or not the people hawking this talk about it as as solution to rising sea levels and flooding.
I believe it... if the people saying it are stupid. Presumably, the platform works (if it would ever wrk for something building-sized) with a finite maximum altitude over the substrate magnets. Flooding and rising sea levels, however, have a stubborn tendency to ignore maximum levels like that. So, the levitating-building idea can only ever be a solution to rising sea levels and flooding... that will not rise any further than we ask them to. :bangwall:
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Couple of weeks ago I was watching a show about a guy who built a floating house. It was a huge concrete box dug into the ground that the house sat in, with metal guide rails standing vertically that the house was attached to so it could only move straight up and down. When it flooded, the box filled with water and the house floated up the rails. As the water receded the house slid back down again.

No power required, no magnets, no metal surfaces... yeah, I don't think we're really in dire need of magnetic levitation as a flood defence.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Couple of weeks ago I was watching a show about a guy who built a floating house. It was a huge concrete box dug into the ground that the house sat in, with metal guide rails standing vertically that the house was attached to so it could only move straight up and down. When it flooded, the box filled with water and the house floated up the rails. As the water receded the house slid back down again.

No power required, no magnets, no metal surfaces... yeah, I don't think we're really in dire need of magnetic levitation as a flood defence.
Interesting piece of enigineering. I wonder how they designed it so there would be enough water to make the house buoyant.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's the principle :

And the guy talking about it with a video simulation, using our new forum video embedding :