Hypothetical (again)

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hypothetical (again)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Would you pull the wings off a butterfly for a penny?

Would you do it for ten million pounds?

If you answered no to one and yes to two, at what price does it become worth doing it?

Would you kill a person for a penny?

Would you do it for ten million pounds?

If you answered no to one and yes to two, at what price does it become worth doing it?

Just idle curiosity... :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Hypothetical (again)

Post by Teaos »

Butterfly, No penny, yes million, a penny is not worth anything. $5, yeah sure, so long as it wasn't endangered. Would I do it for $4, yeah probably, but when you talk cents... who even uses change?

Person, well see, that comes with jail time, and effecting other people, Buterflies dont raise thier young and arent loved by other butterflies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sometimes, I almost believe that there are certain people I'd kill for far less than the amount for which I'd kill a butterfly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:Butterfly, No penny, yes million, a penny is not worth anything. $5, yeah sure, so long as it wasn't endangered. Would I do it for $4, yeah probably, but when you talk cents... who even uses change?

Person, well see, that comes with jail time, and effecting other people, Buterflies dont raise thier young and arent loved by other butterflies.
Not a fan of chaos theory then?
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:wink:
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

For ten million pounds or I think that is fifteen million hell yes I would kill a butterfly. I'd kill a thousand and more. I'd feel remorse afterwards but just like the insects I do kill, I get over it in five minutes.

I think I can kill a butterfly for a dollar.

Person? If I know the person is beforehand. I think I can kill a death row inmate. I may even be able to kill a complete deadbeat that's greatest claim to fame is not going to jail.

If the person is an unknown then no.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Depends.

If the Butterfly happens to be in my house you got a freebie, I have a strict no insects policy within my own four walls.

Outside of that. A penny isn't worth the effort. You'd have to enjoy causing harm to others and then you would also do it for free. Since I don't consider myself a psycho and a penny isn't enough of a reason....no to number 1.

Yes to number 2. Ten million pounds are ten million good reasons to kill a stupid insect. At what price does it become worth doing? Strangly, I have little regard for insects so the marginal price that would be needed would be to overcome my inherent disincliniation of doing something just because someone wants me too. Guess 100 Euro would do the trick.

As for a person..no to both. Ten million pounds is tempting....but knowing myself and my stupid conscience I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, so what would be the point?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I can't speak for the butterflies. But a person? Nope, no amount of money.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

In both cases not for any money. I consider all life equal, regardless of species, and having been both relatively wealthy and now homeless and virtually penniless, I am much happier with less money in my life.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Person no.

The butterfly thing, well, I think it's an issue of my natural suspicion of something being up. I mean maybe if I went on a rotation and was working with the health physics people and that was part of the job than fine. But somebody on the street with a butterfly and a fistful of dollars? Noooo. I think I'm getting out of there.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Honestly I have an odd attitude about it, because I'd step on a butterfly by accident and not be bothered at all... and I'd probably squish one on purpose if it got into my house. The death of butterflies doesn't bother me greatly. But if somebody offered me money to do it... I think that the idea of doing it for profit would bother me in a way that doing it by accident or for simple convenience would not. I guess I don't want to think of myself as a person who would kill for money, even a butterfly. But a life changing amount of money would probably make my greed kick in and do it anyway.

For a person... well obviously I wouldn't kill a person in the normal run of things, and I like to think I wouldn't kill a person for any amount of money. But I wonder just how good of a person I am, if it came down to it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You make an interesting point, and one that makes me really consider the opposite side of that coin. I abhor the idea of killing someone - even in self-defense, I'd kill if it came to it but I'd hate to have to do so. That said, I can never say I'd kill a person for money but I truly believe I'd kill a person for other reasons... namely, the welfare of my children. I hate what it says about me but I can honestly say that if the well-being of my kids were at stake, I'd kill without so much as a brief discussion of morality with myself.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If we talk about "Press a button and someone somewhere dies" as opposed to "With my own hands/tools" it changes a lot.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.