NASA: "Impossible" Engine Could Change Space Travel Forever

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: NASA: "Impossible" Engine Could Change Space Travel Fore

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mikey wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Is it scientific to cling to what you know and dismiss anything else
Nope. But it is most definitely human.[/quote

Indeed it is.
In any event, NASA (nor any other space agency) has the funds to "just build" anything simply because it might have a small chance of working a fraction of the way it is intended.

Fair enough. They DO have an R&D budget tho I assume?

I suppose it depends on how much the particular device costs.

It does still seem like there would be huge benefits from this thing if it does indeed work. :?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Ok so I did the reading. From what I see, the results they are getting, and predicting, will lead this to be a curiosity more than a viable project. Something to go "huh so that worked after all" but not follow because its not a practical technology to deploy.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Link

Phil Plait covers it pretty well.

The effect is tiny and thus probably experimentation error. And as said before, China is full of shit.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.