The total area of solar panels it would take to power the wo

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The total area of solar panels it would take to power the wo

Post by Atekimogus »

Mind blown...if true...

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/12/the-to ... anels.html
"The red squares represent the area that would be enough for solar power plants to produce a quantity of electricity consumed by the world today, in Europe (EU-25) and Germany (De). (Data provided by the German Aerospace Centre (DLR), 2005)"
What exactly is a quantitiy?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The total area of solar panels it would take to power th

Post by Teaos »

Yeah its true, people called BS on the numbers but they didnt put in the right figures.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I saw this a couple of days ago.

I also saw that Germany produced a shit ton of energy through solar panels and it was compared to the US. Anyway, the biggest problem with solar panels is cost. Also you have to keep them clean. I honestly do not think solar panels being extremely common won't happen until they are cheap enough and don't look like shit.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I do not get enough clear days. Nor can I keep my gutters clean from leaf debris.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:I do not get enough clear days. Nor can I keep my gutters clean from leaf debris.
Mercer Community College by me has this giant solar farm and one issue they have is bird shit. The other is how pain in the ass to mow the lawn in between each panel.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's nice and all, but there are so many practical problems. Maybe in a few decades, when we have a world-wide superconducting power grid and batteries that can power a whole city for a day or so and then recharge in a few hours.

And would you really want your power collectors in that region? It's bad enough having to rely on Russia for gas and Saudi Arabia for oil, who wants their power system in Libya, Tunisia, and Algeria?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Jim wrote:I do not get enough clear days. Nor can I keep my gutters clean from leaf debris.
That's my problem, too. New Hampshire is not exactly known for having the sunniest of weather...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think its more to show how small the area need be, you can spread it out across the world so you dont need to move the power as far. Farms in the american south transporter power to the north isnt that far fetched.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:I think its more to show how small the area need be, you can spread it out across the world so you dont need to move the power as far. Farms in the american south transporter power to the north isnt that far fetched.
Actually no. Their plan really is to build massive power plants in those areas and pipe it to Europe. Here's a more detailed projection of what they want to do :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh. Well, fuck that shit.

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Graham Kennedy wrote: And would you really want your power collectors in that region? It's bad enough having to rely on Russia for gas and Saudi Arabia for oil, who wants their power system in Libya, Tunisia, and Algeria?
This is probalby the biggest problem making it not practical.

However, a cynic might say defending oil field or defending solar-power-plants....what's the difference? :roll:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rather not have to defend both. Even if this worked as planned, we'd still need oil.

Me, I'm hoping for fusion. Yeah, I know it's been 30 years away for ever, but from what I've read they are actually able to produce power right now, it's just a question of getting a better power out/power in ratio and for a longer time. And they think they have both problems cracked, it's just putting the money in to build the things.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well if they did make this work at least it will bring money to those countries but that is a utopia bullshit view as soon as a dirt poor country can get a stranglehold on rich countries they have a tendency to grab it and basically blackmail.

But every country does that so I am talking out of my ass.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Or shove some solar thermal collectors with microwave transmitters into orbit... meh let them eat cake.

and we sigh for dear old England, and the captains and the kings
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Yeah, I know it's been 30 years away for ever, but from what I've read they are actually able to produce power right now, it's just a question of getting a better power out/power in ratio and for a longer time.
Well the same could be said for photovoltaic technology. What's the current effectiviness? Roughly 5-10% irrc.

Imagine they could just pump that up to 30-40% (which afaik they already achieve in the laboratory) and start mass producing it.

Nevertheless....you are probably right about fusion being the way to go, solar energy plants by definiton would be more dezentralized and folks don't like that.