The total area of solar panels it would take to power the wo

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: The total area of solar panels it would take to power th

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:I unfortunately believe that in 50 years, the nutjobs that have all the major fission support projects tied up in spurious litigation will have spawned a new generation of like-minded nutjobs.
Yeah, they say Republicans tend to not believe in global warming. However it's pretty clear based on their position on fission power that most democrats don't really buy it either.

However not to stray to much off topic I do tend to think that a lot of the issues with solar will get solved it's just a question of when and how expensive. I suppose to an extent that's the way it is now.

Actually that goes for fission too. Even if they do figure it out, if it requires a massive Tokamak and enough superconducting cable to reach the moon you aren't going to be seeing a lot of it in the third world. And a lot of the third world is tired of living third world style and fossil fuel is the path they're taking for now.

Though poor infrastructure might actualy tilt them more toward solar, since they might have a hard time keeping fossil plants supplied. In principle they also might have the highest demand for electricity during the brightest times because I think AC is one of their bigger draws.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The total area of solar panels it would take to power th

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I unfortunately believe that in 50 years, the nutjobs that have all the major fission support projects tied up in spurious litigation will have spawned a new generation of like-minded nutjobs.
Sure, but that won't last when the lights start to go out.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...