Swap 1800 USA with 2014 USA

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Swap 1800 USA with 2014 USA

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

What happens to all the '14ers of Mexican ancestry (some millions are not currently legal American citizens)? There will be a lot of '14ers living in territory under Spanish rule.

Yes, America is currently a food importer.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I imagine there will be a marked decline population, due to disease and food shortages. I'm not sure whether the US is a net importer of food, but they do waste about around 40% of the food they produce (I am quite surprised, I thought it was around 20-30%) so I guess food-wise if they curtail waste as much as possible then disease will likely be the biggest issue.

Off hand I thought when it came to food the US is self sufficient? From what I understood the US is the one that exports food to other countries.

Disease depends on what medicine the US doesn't make on its own. But I do see perhaps food and practically everything increasing in price.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

My guess is there's gonna be mass confusion at first. And that's on the level of 'water is wet'. How long do you suppose before the US figures this out?

Also, any territory claimed by Spain at that time... won't be claimed by Spain for too long.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Military wise, we are talking muskets and wooden ships. Everything was muzzle loading. Tactics were horrible.

The US could send a single plane to fly over London and drop pamphlets saying anything they want.

A single armed merchant ship could decimate any sailing ship fleet if properly armed. No need for missiles or torpedoes. However the big thing would be oil.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Quite a bit of racism for modern Black and colored Americas from the old ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There is that also. I included the early Americans as well so imagine how they would react to Obama.

In the US, the Founding Fathers are held to a damn near God like status. so
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The thing is, you have no mass communication. So what Washington says, has very little to do with what the soon to be independent countries of Texas and California are going to do.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They have mass communication. Remember that basically the whole modern US except for resources are transported and the two populations of both time frames mix. Aside from anything in space, everything is still in place or better. So cell phones still work.

Why would CA and TX leave?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah I didnt see that infastructure went to. So I assumed they didnt have modern communications and thus would naturally break down in more manageable chunks.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, there's gonna be some problems, but once they figure out what actually happened the shit will hit the fan at supersonic speeds.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Also, 5 to 6 million people with very little modern job skills. What happens to them?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Farms.

Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I wonder who'd end up in charge, Obama or Thomas Jefferson (Who I'm assuming would be incumbent president when the US arrives in the past). I'm sure Obama could take the position by force if he wanted to, but would he?
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

None of the 1800 politicians would have the knowledge of the modern US to be effective. But like I said, the Founding Fathers have an almost God like status. So who knows.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Possibly, we'd invent some new system. Co-Presidency?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939