Swap 1800 USA with 2014 USA

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Swap 1800 USA with 2014 USA

Post by McAvoy »

I have seen this being filtered through various forums. Kinda interesting.

Today's, 2014 50 states of the US is transported to 1800 replacing that era's version. All natural resources are consistent with that time. Nothing has been mined or drilled unless it already has been by that time. All military units out to see or in other countries do not come with the US.

For fun, let's assume all 1800's Americans stay, so the modern US will meet the Founding Fathers.

What happens?

Ignore what happens to the world when the US 2014 is gone.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Swap 1800 USA with 2014 USA

Post by Teaos »

Modern America quickly assumes dominance. Quick brief civil war happens, more of multiple small scale uprisings.

America quickly lays claim to Middle East oil wells, African mineral resources. And as quickly as possible secures all the commodities it needs to continue production of a modern standard of living. Would need to rapidly roll out space infrastructure and global networks.

Would be looking at a global super power unlike any previously seen.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

We conquer at least North America.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Modern America quickly assumes dominance. Quick brief civil war happens, more of multiple small scale uprisings.

America quickly lays claim to Middle East oil wells, African mineral resources. And as quickly as possible secures all the commodities it needs to continue production of a modern standard of living. Would need to rapidly roll out space infrastructure and global networks.
So... you think the US would immediately declare war on the rest of the world?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not declare war so much, as stretch their influence.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Teaos wrote:Modern America quickly assumes dominance. Quick brief civil war happens, more of multiple small scale uprisings.

Yep. Thats what I think would happen.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Spocky wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:

Yep. Thats what I think would happen.
I was going to same the same.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So nothing in space. Basically anything out the US was supplies with would be gone. Overseas investments would be gone.

Really the US would have long term economic depression until it stabilizes which might be years.

It would take to years and even decades to set up overseas supply
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Spocky wrote:Yep. Thats what I think would happen.
Can't say I agree with that.

Incidentally, people may not know there's a somewhat similar premise used for a book series. Rather than the whole US going back a couple of hundred years, the island of Nantucket is suddenly transported back to the Bronze Age. Check out the "Island in the Sea of Time" series, they're pretty good.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Spocky wrote:Yep. Thats what I think would happen.
Can't say I agree with that.

Incidentally, people may not know there's a somewhat similar premise used for a book series. Rather than the whole US going back a couple of hundred years, the island of Nantucket is suddenly transported back to the Bronze Age. Check out the "Island in the Sea of Time" series, they're pretty good.
I've heard good things of those.

At a forum I go to this is a very popular game. Although it's usually somewhat more interesting if the time periods are closer. Like 1900 America and all overseas assets sent back in time to 1800. But sometimes for sheer WTF-ness it's "British Empire at its height sent back to 100 AD."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:At a forum I go to this is a very popular game. Although it's usually somewhat more interesting if the time periods are closer. Like 1900 America and all overseas assets sent back in time to 1800. But sometimes for sheer WTF-ness it's "British Empire at its height sent back to 100 AD."
Now the British Empire would go to war with the rest of the world straight away. Grabbing everything we could was pretty much standard policy.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:At a forum I go to this is a very popular game. Although it's usually somewhat more interesting if the time periods are closer. Like 1900 America and all overseas assets sent back in time to 1800. But sometimes for sheer WTF-ness it's "British Empire at its height sent back to 100 AD."
Now the British Empire would go to war with the rest of the world straight away. Grabbing everything we could was pretty much standard policy.
Personally, I'm of the mind that they grab... most of the planet in such a situation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

America would go to war just to secure resources.

Even with out modern global infastructure, they would still be so far above everyone else with what they have available, as to be able to still kick ass.

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

There is going to be some overlap where 2014 things could not exist at the same time as 1800 things. My first concern is how are we going to feed everyone? My second concern is what kind of epidemics will take hold? Malaria, Yellow Fever, and Small Pox could hit the '14ers very hard.
Last edited by Tholian_Avenger on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I imagine there will be a marked decline in population, due to disease and food shortages. I'm not sure whether the US is a net importer of food, but they do waste about around 40% of the food they produce (I am quite surprised, I thought it was around 20-30%) so I guess food-wise if they curtail waste as much as possible then disease will likely be the biggest issue.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."