Alternate universe

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Alternate universe

Post by Teaos »

Inspired by the Star Trek reboot.

You get flung back to the year 1960. It is an alternate timeline, your timeline continues, just not with you in it.

Would you:-

Try to keep things as they went in your timeline.

Try to "fix" somethings for people you know and love.

Try to stop global bad events from happening IE Challenger, 9/11, 7/7, Iraq.

Purposely mess stuff up to see what happens.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Alternate universe

Post by McAvoy »

I would avoid being around my own parents who would be only ten in 1960. Butterfly effect might still prevent it though.

I'd use my Football knowledge and gamble aka the Back to the Future method but less assholeish.

I'd invest in computer companies soon.

Unfortunately by the time I reach 2014 again I would be 84 and I doubt I will live that long.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You could kick start it maybe by guiding research and giving ideas.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Invest in Google, and Apple.

Become rich from highly profitable stocks.

Become Batman.

Also... find a way to stay young... because getting old by 2014 would be depressing...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yes while it will be awesome to hang out in the 1960's with all of the cool cars and stuff, by the time 2014 comes around it will be kinda depressing. That is of course I drastically change the whole future to the point I do not recognize it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

To be honest I probably wouldn't do much. Get a job sorted, a home, that sort of thing, assuming I could having turned up out of nowhere and technically not existing. I'd invest in something I know I was going to get a good enough profit from like you guys, but only enough to live comfortably for the rest of my days and/or smooth over the “suddenly existing" thing. Other than that iId just excitedly countdown the days until November 1963.

I wouldn't try to change any of the major disasters, because A) I'm not sure foreknowledge would be enough to change them, at least in my case, and B) If I've learned anything from time travel fiction, any event you try and fix will become 1000x worse and somehow, despite it being 1960, will cause the Nazi's to win WW2. What I would do, however, is to try and make sure my new friends and family aren't caught in them.

I'd be tempted to try an release a couple of Sci-fi stories I have floating around in my head, just to say how much I can change things with them, but I;d be wary because A) I'd be worried my work would displace something I like, I don't think I could live with myself if I accidentally got a film made instead of, say, Star wars. B) I'd worry about being successful and brought on to work on Star Trek or Doctor Who, I wouldn't be able to say no but I'm not sure I'd be able to do as good of a job.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Inspired by the Star Trek reboot.

You get flung back to the year 1960. It is an alternate timeline, your timeline continues, just not with you in it.

Would you:-

Try to keep things as they went in your timeline.

Try to "fix" somethings for people you know and love.

Try to stop global bad events from happening IE Challenger, 9/11, 7/7, Iraq.

Purposely mess stuff up to see what happens.
Do I get time to prepare? Because I want to take a few history books with me, along with some technical manuals and whatnot.

First, I'd get rich. Should be simple enough to play the stock market, buy heavily into Apple and Microsoft and wind up a billionaire on the Bill Gates scale or more.

Yes, I'd fix things for my loved ones. They'd live lives of comfort and ease.

Trying to stop global events... maybe. Some things I think would be pretty much unchangeable - Bush seemed set on invading Iraq, and I doubt anything I could do would have changed his mind. Ditto Challenger; they knew the problem, they just refused to believe that it would be an issue. Not sure what a rich guy could do to change that... though I suppose you could just buy out the company that would be given the contract to build the SRBs and then have a word with the designers to make the problem never happen in the first place.

In fact one thing I'd be tempted to do is take all that Bill Gates money and launch a private space program. Apollo cost 100 billion in today's money. You could probably buy that several times over if you were willing to really milk the financial system for all you could get.

9/11 I would stop. It should be simplicity itself since you're working with the powers that be rather than against them. Just drop a phone call the night before it happens with the names and basics of the plan, and that should be that.

One aspect of it would be that the more you change the world from the way you remember it panning out, the more useless you make your knowledge. So pick your changes carefully, because you won't get many.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Actually, I've changed my mind. I'd aquire enough money to buy one of these, and thus elimate the Doctor Who missing episodes problem.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I'd like to take use as much knowledge of what's to come to make as much as money as possible, and establish an private space program (as Graham said). I'd also invest in a number of social programs in the UK to stop the decline of British society and youth that has become prevalent.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

What is 7/7?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

London bombings.

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Gonna be hard to spend this 2014 monopoly money (USD) when people are used to greenbacks.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

The UK was still predecimalization.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."