New Theory to resolve the Fermi Paradox

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

New Theory to resolve the Fermi Paradox

Post by Lt. Staplic »

The Fermi Paradox, as I'm sure many of you are aware, is the question of why we haven't seen any signs of intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy/universe given our understanding of the age of the universe, time/distance scales involved and what we would hope is a fairly large number of potential extraterrestrial sources of life. A new theory has emerged that could resolve this once and for all.
Abstract wrote:As we learn more about the frequency and size distribution of exoplanets, we are discovering that terrestrial planets are exceedingly common. The distribution of orbital periods in turn results in many of these planets being the occupants of the Habitable Zone of their host stars. Here we show that
a conclusion of prevalent life in the universe presents a serious danger due to the risk of spreading Spontaneous Necro-Animation Psychosis (SNAP), or Zombie-ism. We quantify the extent of the danger posed to Earth through the use of the Zombie Drake Equation and show how this serves as a possible explanation for the Fermi Paradox. We demonstrate how to identify the resulting necro-signatures present in the atmospheres where a zombie apocalypse may have occurred so that the risk may be quantified. We further argue that it is a matter of planetary defense and security that we carefully monitor and catalog potential SNAP-contaminated planets in order to exclude contact with these worlds in a future space-faring era.
The Full article can be found here
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: New Theory to resolve the Fermi Paradox

Post by Teaos »

One answer to it I suppose :)

Honestly I think the Drake equation is almost useless as so much of it is total guess work.The one number that I think people always over estimate is the evolution of intelligent life.

I personally think bacterial life is absolutly everywhere, in almost every system, and probably in multiple places in each.

I think algae and basic life is somewhat common.

I think flora and fauna on the same level as earth (minus humans) is again, somewhat common.

Intelligent life... I think it exceptionally rare, in the field of one every couple of galaxies. The chances of it forming twice in anyone galaxy... it would have to be a big one, and even then, maybe a few times in all the universe.

I had it put to it this way to me once. In terms of all the species that have ever lives on earth (somewhere from 100 million to 1 billion, probably somewhere in between) only 2 (possibly 3 or 4 depending on how subspecies of humans are classed) have been "intelligent", only 1 has survived until now, giving maybe a 1/1,000,000,000 chance of intelligent life evolving, on a planet with suitable bio diversity. Then they have to not be killed off sometime.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:One answer to it I suppose :)

Honestly I think the Drake equation is almost useless as so much of it is total guess work.The one number that I think people always over estimate is the evolution of intelligent life.

I personally think bacterial life is absolutly everywhere, in almost every system, and probably in multiple places in each.

I think algae and basic life is somewhat common.

I think flora and fauna on the same level as earth (minus humans) is again, somewhat common.

Intelligent life... I think it exceptionally rare, in the field of one every couple of galaxies. The chances of it forming twice in anyone galaxy... it would have to be a big one, and even then, maybe a few times in all the universe.

I had it put to it this way to me once. In terms of all the species that have ever lives on earth (somewhere from 100 million to 1 billion, probably somewhere in between) only 2 (possibly 3 or 4 depending on how subspecies of humans are classed) have been "intelligent", only 1 has survived until now, giving maybe a 1/1,000,000,000 chance of intelligent life evolving, on a planet with suitable bio diversity. Then they have to not be killed off sometime.
I more or less agree with this.

I think the first planet with native life probably will be fairly basic.

Actual iintelligent life even remotely comparable to us? MMuch more rare, probably one of the rarest things to find in space. But a space dog? Probably will find that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

I believe there is inteligent life in the galaxy. That is why we havn't found it.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well the whole paper was an April Fool's Joke that someone thought would be funny (and I agreed). If you want to kick this over to jokes/humor instead of science/philosophy.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sheer size of the universe? Gotta be something out there. getting to it, on the other hand...