Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Booze Map of the World Crushes Our Spirits

Post by Nutso »

Full Sized Map

http://www.yahoo.com/food/booze-map-of- ... 73147.html
America! We have some work to do.

Not only are we not trumping the world’s other superpowers in the caffeine department, we are also drinking inferior booze.

We are, apparently, one vodka-drinking nation.

News site Quartz has assembled data from Euromonitor, a market research company, to create this map showing which country prefers which spirit (when given the choice among gin, vodka, rum, whiskey, tequila, and brandy). Although more than half the world prefers whiskey to any other spirit, most Americans belly up to the bar and pick vodka.

It’s possible that vodka drinkers are smarter than our bourbon-loving staffers. Even the worst vodka apparently causes you less horrible hangovers than expensive bourbon.

Click on over for the engrossing data; apparently the Dutch are gin-drinking fiends, and Italians go for rum. If nothing else, it’ll get you in the mindset for happy hour.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Booze Map of the World Crushes Our Spirits

Post by Teaos »

Suprised Whisky is winning here, I would of assumed it was Vodka.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Prior to my abstinence from alcohol, I had phases where I went through specific drinks. For instance, in my late teens and early 20's it was whiskey, then rum, then by my late 20's I had turned to vodka.

I hate tequila with a passion, though I did once take several shots purely because they were giving out free bandannas, and I wanted one.

I too am surprised by this result though, I would have thought vodka also.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I prefer Absinthe, but it's too expensive for regular consumption.

The last year or so, I've been on a rum kick, but I did grab a bottle of Old Crow yesterday. Love that stuff.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I would've figured Bourbon to be winning in the U.S. But vodka is cheaper and diabetics drink vodka since there's no carbs in plain vodka.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

When I was young I did drink the hard stuff. Now I am a craft beer snob. Vodka though is the only one I didn't traumatize myself with.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I went from whiskey (mainly scotch) to rum and tequila (te-kill-ya, lol), now I drink very little. Can't stand vodka or gin........go figure.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Drank spirits once and only once. Drank around 10 shots of vodka in a 45 minute period and required an ambulance not long after; never again.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:Drank around 10 shots of vodka in a 45 minute period and required an ambulance not long after
Really? I don't think anyone could have predicted that outcome. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Reliant121 wrote:Drank spirits once and only once. Drank around 10 shots of vodka in a 45 minute period and required an ambulance not long after; never again.
:shock: Well, you kind of overdid it there sport. Damn.
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

On balance I am now aware this was not a wise idea. Frankly I can't remember anything apart from the first two shots so at the time I can only assume I had taken leave of my senses. :wink:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Gee... not remembering much and not coming to your senses?

I have done the same thing on my 21st birthday. All I remember is having to go pee but not being allowed to as shot after shot was being fed to me. Next thing I know I clogged a sink and puked on a innocent girl and then put in a bath tub to dry out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I did 21 shots in 21 minutes on my 21st, I was kinda okayish, but then kept drinking.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.