Kinect, Kinect, Hello Kinect? Just use the button.

Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Kinect, Kinect, Hello Kinect? Just use the button.

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

I've watched Star Trek for a long time and have often thought about how nice it would be to have a supercomputer at my beckon call, until it happened.

The Xbox One apparently requires an internet connection at least once every 24 hours, and a Kinect to be plugged in at all times. It is factory default that the Kinect will always be on, even when the Xbox One is "turned off". In the "off" state the Kinect is only listening, and it listens only for one single command "Xbox On". The Kinect can be adjusted so that it does not listen for the "Xbox On" command but still, it is plugged in to the Xbox and the Xbox is never really off unless it is removed from a power source.

For information and entertainment, a quick voice activated computer connected to a powerful search engine would be great. I am paranoid though and would like to have little slide switches to interrupt the power to the camera, microphone, and speakers. Picard has to walk in front of the Replicator to get his tea, perhaps there should be some other input that has to be activated before the Kinect starts listening.

What about you guys, do you like this amount of information power, or do you hate the digital intrusion?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Kinect, Kinect, Hello Kinect? Just use the button.

Post by Teaos »

I like it if its optional, if I have no choice in it they can go pleasure a cheese grater.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Very interesting experience that, the trick is you have to whisper in low husky tones to set the cheese grater's mood off right.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I like it if its optional, if I have no choice in it they can go pleasure a cheese grater.
I will not be part of humanity's downfall by contributing to Skynet's education.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't mind the idea of voice control. For somethings it has a place. For instance quickly inputting data into search fields or even quickly categorizing programming with a cable box.

My problem with the XBone is that Microsoft's history with privacy is shit. Skype spying, hopping on the PRISM train front and center, is this the company you want putting a HD webcam in your living with a microphone and then telling you that you can't unplug it and you have to let it call home once every 24 hours? There is no logical reason for the Kinect to have to be permanently plugged in. None.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I hate voice control. It has never been that accurate or saves time as been advertised. Then again I am a fast typer on a keyboard, computer or cell phone. Though cell phones are trickier because the keyboards just suck.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

On something with an easily accessed keyboard I'd agree with you. I'm thinking more like my TV but then again, I have four screaming kids. I might be better off with one of those small keyboard style remotes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:On something with an easily accessed keyboard I'd agree with you. I'm thinking more like my TV but then again, I have four screaming kids. I might be better off with one of those small keyboard style remotes.
In my experience, the type of interface is irrelevant. If you want to proof something from the kids, it needs to come with its own panic room.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:My problem with the XBone is that Microsoft's history with privacy is shit.
Sony's is no better either.
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sony isn't making having a webcam permanently attached a requirement or letting it phone home daily.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:Sony isn't making having a webcam permanently attached a requirement or letting it phone home daily.
yet
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ever if the shit storm MS is getting pans out.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:Ever if the shit storm MS is getting pans out.
Well it didn't take long.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57590 ... quirement/
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That's a hell of a suprise.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:That's a hell of a suprise.

I'm not surprised that they reacted to the court of public opinion; but I'm very surprised that they thought there wouldn't be the sort of outrage that has surfaced.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer