Is this article just a tad optimistic?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Is this article just a tad optimistic?

Post by LaughingCheese »

http://www.bis-space.com/2013/05/16/105 ... dy-project

I'm no expert but really?? Somehow I doubt we already have the technology to put millions of people into space colonies at L4 and L5.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Is this article just a tad optimistic?

Post by Griffin »

Far to drunk to look at it from a science perspective (and even then it's probably out of my league), but the thing I wonder about is, is there a million people willing to live on such a thing?
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Getting into space is still a problem something that prevents the average person from even going up now. I doubt until we figure a cheap and effective way of going into orbit, space will only be accessible by the elite.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think we should perhaps see how the next gen orbit-lifters work out, THEN look toward orbital habitats.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Here's the problem, are large space habitat's theoretically possible with current technology? Yes. Are they possible given today's infrastructure? Not even remotely.

You are talking hundreds of thousands of tons of material needing to be moved into orbit and out to the L4/L5 points. Our biggest launchers ever were limited to about 100 tons into LEO. You would need quite literally tens of thousands of Saturn V sized booster launches to get the necessary materials into space and in place. Then there's issues with zero-gee/vacuum construction work. Right now constructing even the most basic things in orbit requires hours of effort preceded by months of planning and training. You're talking going from bolting together pre-assembled trusses to building something bigger than the Burj Kahlif time one hundred and doing it all in a space suit.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Besides all that, what's the actual demand for this? It's not like we are running out of living area here on Earth, in most places. And even in places where we are, like Japan, it's always going to be easier to construct something like a giant skyscraper or an artificial island than it is to build an orbital colony. Safer, too. "Oh, my giant skyscraper sprung a leak - there's a draft and some damp getting in!" - "Oh, my orbital habitat has sprung a leak - everyone is dead!"

The only reason there is any demand at all for space habitats is that some people think it would be cool to live in a space habitat. That's really not that much of a reason, in the grand scheme of things. Certainly not enough to pony up the trillions of dollars such a thing would cost.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

No demand beyond the novelty of living in space off of Earth. But like I said it probably be catered to the rich as only they could afford to do it. Unless somehow we develop a technology that allows us to send people to space where it costs pennies for a pound.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Tyyr wrote:You are talking hundreds of thousands of tons of material needing to be moved into orbit and out to the L4/L5 points. Our biggest launchers ever were limited to about 100 tons into LEO. You would need quite literally tens of thousands of Saturn V sized booster launches to get the necessary materials into space and in place.
I think you need to establish factories on the Moon to build the equipment or look into building some type of giant rail gun launcher. All of this would need at least a decade of dedicated work, which no administration (China, EU, Russia, or USA) has the interest or money to do. Maybe Canada.
Then there's issues with zero-gee/vacuum construction work. Right now constructing even the most basic things in orbit requires hours of effort preceded by months of planning and training. You're talking going from bolting together pre-assembled trusses to building something bigger than the Burj Kahlif time one hundred and doing it all in a space suit.
Good practice starting a construction project on the moon though.
GrahamKennedy wrote:Besides all that, what's the actual demand for this?
Lots of solar power, asteroid mining, and perhaps farming. There may be some manufacturing techniques which are better served in microgravity too.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:I think you need to establish factories on the Moon to build the equipment or look into building some type of giant rail gun launcher.
Which is not tech anyone has at the moment. Getting a serious manufacturing base established on the moon would be a 20 year project at least and require NASA to devote all its resources to it. You'd have to develop vacuum and low gravity manufacturing techniques. Move heavy equipment to the moon. Simply build a viable colony on the moon large enough to support hundreds of workers. Again is it doable? Maybe, but there's zero mandate to spend trillions on a home for rich people.
Good practice starting a construction project on the moon though.
Not particularly. The biggest problem isn't vacuum, it's the total lack of gravity and surfaces you can push against. Not to mention most lunar construction will center around digging holes and using the regolith to make concrete.
Lots of solar power,
Doesn't require a gigantic L4 habitat.
asteroid mining,
Doesn't require a gigantic L4 habitat.
and perhaps farming.
Build yourself an island, it'll be cheaper. I'm not kidding, it will be cheaper to physically make new farmland in a temperate region than it would in space. Not to mention you won't be able to have enough arable land in an L4 colony to net export any food. Even if you did, are you willing to pay $150/lb for space lettuce?
There may be some manufacturing techniques which are better served in microgravity too.
Say it with me, which doesn't require a gigantic L4 habitat.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Tyyr wrote:Which is not tech anyone has at the moment. . . . Again is it doable? Maybe, but there's zero mandate to spend trillions on a home for rich people.
I refer you to my earlier comment:
Tholian_Avenger wrote:All of this would need at least a decade of dedicated work, which no administration (China, EU, Russia, or USA) has the interest or money to do.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles