Falling into a black hole may not be as final as it seems

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Falling into a black hole may not be as final as it seems

Post by Granitehewer »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... holes.html

''Falling into a black hole may not be as final as it seems. Apply a quantum theory of gravity to these bizarre objects and the all-crushing singularity at their core disappears.

In its place is something that looks a lot like an entry point to another universe. Most immediately, that could help resolve the nagging information loss paradox that dogs black holes.''
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Falling into a black hole may not be as final as it seem

Post by Teaos »

Appart from the fact you get ripped apart by tidal forces before you even get close.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That whole spaghettification thing is kind of a bitch.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Anyone read the article ? Opinions ?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A theory with very little in terms of hard science, or most importantly, an possible experiment to back it up, which is the corner stonw of proper science.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, we already knew this... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As Teaos mentions, we're way into the theoretical with this. Unfortunately, because of the effect of a black hole on any possible media, we can't actually observe the "interior" of a black hole in order to confirm or deny the hypothesis. This idea, however, is nothing new - the concept of black holes harboring "wormholes" or the so-called Einstein-Rosen bridges has been around since... well, since at least Einstein and Rosen.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

It is a new model for reducing the informational loss issue in black holes and also novel in that it removes the singularity, many wormhole theories still featured a singularity and that is one reason that general relativity equations seemed to break down, it is also novel in employing loop quantum gravity. The jist may not seem novel but the mechanics are.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Loop Quantum gravity is just like string theory... another unprovable mathamatical idea.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Granitehewer wrote:Anyone read the article ? Opinions ?
Yes, but removing the singularity doesn't do anything about the problems encountered along the way to it. TLDR version, even if this is true, you're still fucked long before you could get there.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

The problem is that we cannot observe any "white holes" or entry points into our universe from black holes in other universes. Unless we're asserting that the black holes themselves are also the entry points in which case you might as well drop the idea of a wormhole because the gravitation of the two black holes on either side will crush you toward the center of their connection and you'll wind up trapped there.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

At least blackholes exist, white holes are only mathmatical theory and to our knowledge have never existed.