http://www.icar-101.com/icar/index.php? ... 01-Project

Cylindrical wings? Seriously?

The effect seems to be legit tho.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What do you think of the iCar 101?

Post by Vic »

Ah, Magnus Effect wings, finally a modern application for it.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would like it more if it wasnt called an iCar...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Meet George Jetson...
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Teaos wrote:I would like it more if it wasnt called an iCar...

LOL

So you guys think this will work?

Why has no one thought of this before?

If it works at human scale, it should work on the RC scale right? That would be fascinating...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

People have thought about this many, many times. This isn't the first flying car idea and it wouldn't even be the first one to work. The problem is that flying cars are horribly compromised cars and airplanes. They have to be built to automobile crash standards and aircraft standards and also imagine for a moment giving your average driver three times the speed, wings, and an entire third dimension to navigate and imagine the cluster fuck.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah. There is NO WAY I would trust most people to pilot/drive a flying car. i wouldn't trust myself, for god's sake.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Flyings car have always been and will always be, logistically impossible.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Flyings car have always been and will always be, logistically impossible.
Agreed. Doesn't stop people from trying such a boondoggle. :worried:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The only halfway viable flying vehicle I've seen is the PAL-V One. Its a Gyrocopter that transforms into a 2 man car / motorcyle thing. Runs on gasoline, flys below the level of commercial traffic and doesn't need a full length runway.

Begs the question why you would need such a vehicle, but it does look halfway practical.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:The only halfway viable flying vehicle I've seen is the PAL-V One. Its a Gyrocopter that transforms into a 2 man car / motorcyle thing. Runs on gasoline, flys below the level of commercial traffic and doesn't need a full length runway.

Begs the question why you would need such a vehicle, but it does look halfway practical.
Well, why do people need half the crap they buy? ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Why wouldn't you want such a vehicle? You've got a car for around town use but anytime you need to take a drive of any significance you can fly instead and get there in half the time. I just had to drive to Kentucky to visit family. A few hours by air would have beat two days by car. Hell, even some shorter commutes could be reduced greatly if the option to fly was there. Visiting my inlaws an hour and a half away? How about a short drive to the local airport 5 minutes from me. Fly half an hour to the little airport near them, then just drive the five minutes to their house. Forty minutes of travel instead of 90. Sounds good to me.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Advanced autopilot. 'Nuff said.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tyyr wrote:Why wouldn't you want such a vehicle? You've got a car for around town use but anytime you need to take a drive of any significance you can fly instead and get there in half the time. I just had to drive to Kentucky to visit family. A few hours by air would have beat two days by car. Hell, even some shorter commutes could be reduced greatly if the option to fly was there. Visiting my inlaws an hour and a half away? How about a short drive to the local airport 5 minutes from me. Fly half an hour to the little airport near them, then just drive the five minutes to their house. Forty minutes of travel instead of 90. Sounds good to me.
True enough, though most concepts I've seen aren't flying cars, so much as Planes that are road worth. Not much use around town. I could see something like the PAL - V being used as such though. Particularly with an Autopilot function.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Why wouldn't you want such a vehicle? You've got a car for around town use but anytime you need to take a drive of any significance you can fly instead and get there in half the time. I just had to drive to Kentucky to visit family. A few hours by air would have beat two days by car. Hell, even some shorter commutes could be reduced greatly if the option to fly was there. Visiting my inlaws an hour and a half away? How about a short drive to the local airport 5 minutes from me. Fly half an hour to the little airport near them, then just drive the five minutes to their house. Forty minutes of travel instead of 90. Sounds good to me.
Because I don't trust myself/half the drivers out there to pilot it safely.