Is it wrong to burn books?

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Is it wrong to burn books?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, but if the fake ones fall apart, you don't have to spend $50 to get the matching wood.

The one from walmart is $25 in total (already ordered it).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Technically, if my book shelf fell apart it's probably because I dropped it from the third floor. :P
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:@ McAvoy - I imagine, though I'm not sure, that a fair number of faiths have some sort of ritual burning for Bibles. We all know what flag-burning represents... but when performed with the proper ceremony, burning is the only acceptable way of disposing of a worn national flag. In Judaism, because of the ephemeral nature of ink-and-paper or electronic media, there is a custom to not write the word "G-d."
That depends on national identity. The American flag seems to carry with it the significance of the virgin mary, no other flag in the history of the planet is so vehemently defended. No-one would give a damn if you burned a Union Jack around here. They'd be far more annoyed if you burned their football team's latest colours.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:That depends on national identity. The American flag seems to carry with it the significance of the virgin mary, no other flag in the history of the planet is so vehemently defended. No-one would give a damn if you burned a Union Jack around here. They'd be far more annoyed if you burned their football team's latest colours.
Depends where though. Try that in Wooton Basset on the wrong day and there'd be hell to pay. Try it in the Shankill and you'd probably get lynched. Do elsewhere and as you say, you get a few dirty looks but probably not much more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

True enough.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:
Mikey wrote:@ McAvoy - I imagine, though I'm not sure, that a fair number of faiths have some sort of ritual burning for Bibles. We all know what flag-burning represents... but when performed with the proper ceremony, burning is the only acceptable way of disposing of a worn national flag. In Judaism, because of the ephemeral nature of ink-and-paper or electronic media, there is a custom to not write the word "G-d."
That depends on national identity. The American flag seems to carry with it the significance of the virgin mary, no other flag in the history of the planet is so vehemently defended. No-one would give a damn if you burned a Union Jack around here. They'd be far more annoyed if you burned their football team's latest colours.
Umm... okay? Add "our" in front of "flag" in my response to McAvoy and it's still a good analogy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I know, I was just highlighting that for the most part the US is quite unique when it comes to its fangasm of flag :)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is true. But when it comes to burning the flag it is either because of protests or violence to the country itself. At least that is what I think of when someone burns the flag.

Which is very similar to burning books too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"