Skyhook

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Skyhook

Post by Lighthawk »

What do you get when you mix a zeppelin and a helicopter?
The SkyHook JHL-40 is a hybrid airship/helicopter currently in development. On July 9, 2008, Boeing announced that it had teamed up with SkyHook International, a Canadian company, to develop this aircraft.

According to company spokepeople, the aircraft will combine the best features of a blimp and a helicopter, and will be capable of carrying a 40 ton load up to 200 miles (320 km) without refueling. At 302 feet (92 m) long, it will classify as the largest helicopter in the world, and will be capable of flying up to 800 miles (1,300 km) without a load. The craft will use helium to provide enough lift to carry its own weight, and will use four helicopter rotors to lift the load and to propel the aircraft. By using both helium and helicopter rotors, the aircraft can avoid having to jettison helium after unloading.

In comparison, the CH-47 Chinook helicopter can carry a load the same distance, but can only lift a maximum of 10 tons.

SkyHook claims that the aircraft will provide environmental benefits over traditional methods of delivering heavy loads, as it will require less fuel than a helicopter and will not require building big roads for construction equipment.

The JHL-40, or Jess Heavy Lifter, is named after Pete Jess, the President and Chief operating officer of SkyHook International, the company that owns the patent for the aircraft.

The planned aircraft has yet to be certified by Transport Canada and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. Currently the aircraft's overall performance and layout have been established. The next major program milestone will be Detailed Design in 2011, which centers on the design, analysis and specification of all hardware, software and related aircraft and ground support systems interfaces. Boeing is designing and will fabricate a production SkyHook HLV prototype at its Rotorcraft Systems facility in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. The new aircraft will enter commercial service after it is certified by Transport Canada and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. The first SkyHook HLV aircraft was scheduled to fly in 2014, on September 13, 2010 however, Financial Times Deutschland revealed that development was halted until an infusion of 100 million dollar in public funding would be available.
Source: Wikipedia

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Skyhook

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That is seriously badass.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I'll believe it when I see it flying.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Vic wrote:I'll believe it when I see it flying.
Plan on living a long time, eh?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

My wife said that our marriage was forever.....I have some time. :P :)
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I was reminded of this:

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

So apparently Boeing is moving into evil villan locomotion nowadays...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:So apparently Boeing is moving into evil villan locomotion nowadays...
Yeah, that's straight out of Blofeld's playbook.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Get the cells a bit bigger, and I'd want to use a giant pump, to put the helium back inside storage tanks. No need for helicopter blades, just a bunch of compressors. If you make multiple cells inside the main envelope, you can divert helium as desired.

Overall, nice idea. Now to use it to help assemble skyscrapers. Load up some pre-welded frames, fly up to the top of the building under construction, and drop them all off, along with a regular crane.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You're going to need the cells to be a LOT bigger for something that's supposed to lift 80,000 pounds. And those compressors and storage bottles will be quite large and heavy as well. This set up gives you rapid response and fine control of lifting the load.